• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to sow frutescens?

I've already sown all of my chinense, baccatums, and pubescens. Was planning on waiting another month before sowing the annums. I have Tobasco on my growlist, which is a frutescens. My question is should it be sown early, or should I just wait and sow them with the annums?

Burpee says their Tabasco pepper will take 80 days to maturity, so it's about the same as the Poblanos. Cheers!

i guess it depends on which your talking about some are as fast as annums in terms of maturity, there are a few that are as pokey as chinense but i dont think it will be an issue
Ive noticed that there about as quick as annums IMHO
sow them a little before your annums and you shouldn't have any issues

thanks your friend Joe

My Tabasco's were about 90+ days so I'm starting them early this year. I actually had scotch bonnets and Dorset's before Tabs.

I grew some a few years ago and started them in June. By September they were 5 feet tall and loaded with pods.

Thanks guys!!!

Being the impatient person that I am, I couldn't even wait for an answer. They are already sown! :lol:

Wow, Jamie, 5' !!! That is crazy! Pretty sure they won't get that big here though.

Thanks guys!!!

Being the impatient person that I am, I couldn't even wait for an answer. They are already sown! :lol:

Wow, Jamie, 5' !!! That is crazy! Pretty sure they won't get that big here though.

not a bad thing the sooner you get them in the soon they will mature, im usua,,y about a month or better ahead of my friend with his commercial farm and i get pods on most species before he does

thanks your friend Joe

Yeah, the only problem is when they get too big before it's warm enough for them to go outside. It's like trying to entertain a bunch of unruly teenagers indoors on a rainy day ...

They will get 5' in soil easily in your climate,and equally as wide. Not sure if you are going pot,or soil. Bad thing about maturity dates...they don't give you an idea of plant size,and from what you say,space is going to be an issue. Those guys like to branch a lot. Only problem I see is you are only planting 1 c.frutescen!! Haha I love their leaves,flowers,and fast heat!!! My favorite species hands down.

Hmmm ... I thought with our short growing season, they wouldn't have time to get that big. If I rent the space at the community garden, like I have the past few years, than space won't be too big of an issue once it's planted out, but indoors, once they are ready to be potted up is another story.

Back