• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to start using a fan

This year I want to try using a small fan on my seedlings to see if it helps make them thicker/healthier. I just started moving some seedlings from the tray to solo cups. Should I give them some time to adjust to being in the solo cups and under the new lights, or is it okay to start up the fan for a few hours a day right away? I was thinking of having a timer run the fan for one hour every 5 hours (so roughly 5 times a day for a total of 5 hours).

I run an oscillating fan on my seedlings 24 hours a day from when they pop up. I set it to medium so it doesn't blow them to bits. They seem happy enough with it.

Put a fan on mine too early, and slowed sprouting.
Waited about a week after transplanting to dirt (about 2nd set of true leaves), stocky and wide was the result.
Though just using a tiny fan that fits under the lights and rotating the direction several times a day, a larger fan will be on them when it fits.

I put them on once i have i see the first pair of true leaves, I like to do it as hit helps build the plant strength before i move them outside. I always seem to have the ocean breeze blowing so i try to get them as much prep as possible for when they head outside.

medium size oscillating floor fan that I picked up for around $20.00 at Kmart. It is on most of the time for the smaller plants, the large ones, not so much.

I wait until all my seedlings have sprouted so I'm not drying out the soil on top of my cups while seeds are trying to germinate.

I keep a fan on my seedlings from the time they sprout. I keep it going 24 hours a day (low or medium setting and not too close to the seedlings). I think this helps strengthen the stems and it helps keep the nasties away.

Big Mike
​Visit Us Online: www.knot2worry.us

I put a fan on them soon as i potted them up. My fan blows 24/7 on medium. Like said above there stocky and wide. I'm amazed at some of them... They are like sticks! I'm not worried about the wind when i harden them off at all

Back