• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to Start

Not that slow, but no as fast as Baccatums. I forgot to mention that I'll start the Baccatums later, they nearly went through the roof this year.

The Pubescens usually take longer to germinate anyway, so you'll be on the safe side starting them with the rest!

just had a thought...

should you stagger the germination of seeds based on the species of seeds you are going to grow?

I will start the wild varieties and Rocotos a little earlier than the rest, so they won't be way smaller than the rest. And I'll also start the Baccatums a little later, because they outgrow the rest otherwise. In other words: yes! ;)

That's true, but I feel like paying a little attention to our season and my space is limited, so I want to try to have my plants at more or less the same stage before planting out.

Chiliac said:
I want to try to have my plants at more or less the same stage before planting out.

Exactly

I have a small room in my house that my kids call "the pepper room", it's where I start all my seeds and do the overwinter thing, I am going to add some more shelves this fall so that I will have plenty of room for the plants. Keep the water right and make sure they get plenty of sun, and they do fine.

My tepin was 48" tall last winter but I cut it way back so it wouldn't break when it went out this summer. The plants seem to go nuts in the "pepper room":hell:

Back