• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to transplant

Question - when do I transplant from my Jiffy starters to a 72 cell or heck even a 3.5" deep? I am not so much worried about the Jiffy pods with 1 seed germinated but the ones in which I planted 2 seeds that have sprouted. I worry about their roots getting tangled up. At this point would you move them to a 72 cell then to a 3.5 after they've strengthened a little or go straight to the 3.5?

2012-03-14_07-18-26_505.jpg

I did the 72 and then the 3.5 pots. It worked for me. They stayed in their homes in the 72 for about a month - month and a half. Oh, and be careful with those pucks and watering once you transplant. When you bury them in their new homes, it will be hard to gauge how much water they are retaining. I actually had to take mine out of the pucks and repot all of them in the 72.

I've never used the little starters, but they look to be the same size as the 72 cell compartments. My own 2c would be to pot up to the larger sizes when it's time. the seedlings can tolerate some root disturbance on transplanting if you are careful. You can just cut the root ball in half with a sharp knife and plant each half if the seedlings aren't right next to each other for the doubles. I'm not sure how the netting on the little pucks would affect these processes. Cloning is another option : )

Actually you can pot up anytime you are comfy with; It certainly does no harm to pot up early.

I'd let them develop 2 sets of true leaves then put them in the 3.5" pots. Not sure if putting them in a 72 first would accomplish anything. Just my .02

Thanks everyone - I plan on cutting the netting off. I've read that it can cause problems. I do believe I will be going directly to the 3.5" deep pots. My soil medium I will be using is Miracle Grow Potting Soil; my understanding is it is pretty PH neutral ... its that or Sunshine #4 as the store I was going to get my Pro Mix BX from is out and their supplier is no longer in business. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Gerry

My reason for potting to the smaller pots first was a space issue. The 3.5 takes up a lot more space than the flats. I was actually using the "6 packs" you find at nurseries in trays that held 36 plants. If space is not a concern, definitely pot up early.

Back