• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground When ur plants are in the ground...

Hey Folks, i was just walkin around the house yesterday tending to the plants in the ground and i was just amazed at how big they got for just several months.well some of them got big..will post pics soon , i know some strains may grow taller or bushier and some are more prolific then others and also that the soil and the growin enviroment/conditions apply..so i was wondering what do u guys do that have plants in the ground and have all those seasons back their? do u let them grow out till their old and dying or do u pluck em and get the soil ready for another season..here in Guam we only got one season which is rain, besides that its just hot n humid.. cuz once i put the plant in the ground, its their till it cant produce pods anymore or when the typhoon comes and decides to take it..so just wondering what u guys do to ur plants in the ground..

I'm in the northern U.S. and my growing season is quite short. I pull all plants before the freeze comes, and ammend my soil every year. I start new seeds every year and overwinter a few plants as well.

If I could grow year round I would just let them go and top dress/feed as needed until I had a good reason to start from scratch.

I have many in the ground and many in pots. The ones in the ground are weeds.I do not take care of them and do not need to.
The plants in pots(containers) require regular fertilizer and weeding.
I find peppers to be the easiest thing to grow and not requiring any special care to speak of.
Tomatoes, I fight with.

The ones in the ground are weeds.I do not take care of them and do not need to.
I'll second this.

I put 6 plants in the ground and haven't had to touch them since. They've been doing fine through rain, drought, and stampeding toddler.

I'd originally put them in the ground since I was out of pots and didn't have the heart to trash them, but they've been doing so well I picked up some more pots yesterday and will be overwintering them.

do u let them grow out till their old and dying
You'll get more peppers from a 2nd year plant than a 1st year plant, and I assume the same holds true for the following years. Let them grow till they'll grow no more.

I've got a pequin I planted in 2006 that's about 7 feet tall that still has some fruit, but it's on it's last leg.
I'm kinda looking forward to cutting it down and tossing some of the trunk in the table saw.
According to my hand pruners that wood is harder than a priests richard.
Might make cool knife handles.
Here's some type of pepper wood.

Attachments

• pepperskinner.jpg
    pepperskinner.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 54
I've got a pequin I planted in 2006 that's about 7 feet tall that still has some fruit, but it's on it's last leg.
I'm kinda looking forward to cutting it down and tossing some of the trunk in the table saw.
According to my hand pruners that wood is harder than a priests richard.
Might make cool knife handles.
Here's some type of pepper wood.

Very kewl handle.

Just have to laugh at "Pepper Wood"

Back