• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When will these be ripe?

Here and here I have very light green colored pods that haven't changed color for like 2 months. They are beginning to show brown patches and will, I'm afraid, begin to rot.
I've picked a couple of them and when I dried the seeds, they were brown-ish, which I think is an indication that they are still not ripe enough yet. They are hot little devils with nuclear green oil building up inside. They already smell incredible. Weather is going to be cooler again, which means they won't get ripe at all this season.

I'm in the same situation myself. Nothing rotting but just not changing color on all plants but I did get a late start. Hope all goes well brother!! :)

Weather is getting cold - too cold for chillies. I can say it's getting chilly. :D
Morning temperatures were already below 10°C for a few nights, but have now risen again. They should stay around 12°C for a week. Daily highs around 20°C, these couple of days we're having a heatwave with highs around 30°C again. I hope for the best.

When it cools off again, I'll just pick the remaining pods and keep them inside with some fruit and take the plant inside for overwintering. I'll cut off most of it and hope for it to recover and start earlier next season. This spring was cold and I have sown them in mid March. They struggled when planted outside with cool weather that had to came just when I decided to take them out. They actually started growing normally in July.  :rolleyes:

Woke up to 3c, so was colder during the night, frost warning the day before. I pulled it my pots but the Tinker Bell peppers are in a big pot so I couldn't pull him in so I hope I don't loose the 2 dozen that are on their, also been green a while, fortunately that's the second crop of the year.

Temperatures will again drop to 5C or even less, so I decided to pick half of the pods that are starting to rot anyway and hopefully speed up ripening of the remaining pods. Warm days made the leaves look more healthy again, but it's over now and summer is officially gone. I'm piling up soil to pot them up when first frost hits the forecast. At that time, I'll pick everything trim it completely and hope for the best. I hope two of the pepper plants survive, they are growing like trees, sadly, this year was way too short for them.

Back