• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Where did you get your pots from?

I'm growing my peppers in containers and I'm running out of containers. Where did you all find all of yours? These plastic containers aren't exactly cheap from nurseries so I'm looking for other alternatives. The one nursery actually has a recycling bin that says you can take what you need and I grabbed a couple from there. But I don't want to get overly greedy. But then again I don't wanna pay $2.99 and up for these things. So if you have any advice for a newbie I would appreciate it.

A lot of us grow in 5 gallon nursery pots. Lowes and home depot sell theirs for 2.35 around here, dont know about you. Also, check you local grocery stores that have bakeries. Just walk on over and ask if they have any buckets they are throwing away. Usually they will give them for free.

I was just thinking an actual 5 gallon bucket would take a lot of dirt.

Yes they do which also costs alot of money :-) I purchased some pots but then got about 30 or so from a larger landscaping business that my boss owned and recently sold. it was just luck and good timing but most are around the 5 gallon size or larger. Some people will use the same soil over again for a few years and just add new compost and what ever else they use in their mixes to get some nutrients back into it. Im not sure how many years you can do that but if you did it for a couple years and just bought a little more soil every year eventually you would have a decent amount of soil for your pots.

Thanks everyone for your input. Just looking for ways to cut costs when I can. Like most every hobby, this one can get expensive if you don't watch it lol

I was recently at the Ace hardware here, and a decent size bucket was at least 7.99, hello dollar store, I got 2 1/2 gallon buckets for a buck each. Of course I had to drill some holes in them but it was worth it!

I was recently at the Ace hardware here, and a decent size bucket was at least 7.99, hello dollar store, I got 2 1/2 gallon buckets for a buck each. Of course I had to drill some holes in them but it was worth it!

How big of a plant can you grow in a 2 1/2 gallon pot?

How big of a plant can you grow in a 2 1/2 gallon pot?

No idea yet, I got some in the ground after being in the 2 1/2 gallon pots. I think I read somewhere on here 3-5 gallon buckets are the best, I think you ideally you should have a 5 gallon bucket if your planning on keeping them in buckets all year.

Local Nursery had tons and tons set aside. I tihnk they ordered a bunch from lowes or something. Either way they were gonna get thrown away so i got like 2 dozen for 3 dollars. THey were all 3.5 gallon.

Local Nursery had tons and tons set aside. I tihnk they ordered a bunch from lowes or something. Either way they were gonna get thrown away so i got like 2 dozen for 3 dollars. THey were all 3.5 gallon.

You're lucky. Every nursery around me is selling them for that price a piece.

I'm getting pots for free from a local market. I simply asked if I could have them because they was just getting thrown away, a good tip if you need cheap pots!
Even food stores have pots or buckets for cut flowers. Where I live they get thrown away at least.

Not to mention my dads a painter on the side so 5 gallon buckets get used up all the time. I have a garage full. When they are done, you just gotta wash them out.

5 gallon black blow mold nursery containers can be bought for about a buck each on the internet...and IMO they aren't even worth that...if you touch them with a weed eater, you got a hole...

I get my containers (5 gallon heavy duty extruded containers) from my local nursery...used they are $2 each...new, they are like 6-7 each...

I'm using 18 gallon storage containers that I picked up from The Dollar Store and from Home Depot for $3-$4 each. I know that this size is a little overkill, and it was a little costly to fill them all with soil mix, but my plants are doing well and it sure is nice not to have to water them every day.

Alan

+1 on the grocery stores

My local grocery has a deli/bakery department so I asked them. They just toss everything into a recycling bin out back and told me to help myself. I've picked up a variety of buckets from 1.5 to 6 gallon, all food grade plastic and all free. Rinse them out, drill some holes and good to go. I'll never pay for a bucket again.

I went to a local nursery the other day and just asked about their used containers and the owner told me to drive around back and help myself. I bet there was over 1000- 3 to 5 gal pots back there. I loaded my truck up and will go back and get the rest. WooHoo! "WOW NOW THAT'S A LOW PRICE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've found it's hit and miss with nurseries. You get some that dont want to part with any used pots. Then you have others that are more than happy to let you take a truckload full. I went to a nursery and a landscape contractor was unloading a couple hundred used pots, which I assume the nursery can re-use. I assume they must give some sort of minimal credit for returning them back in bulk.

Then again, if you buy a few things and slip the guy loading your car with a ten dollar bill, you'd be surprised what you can sneak away with. :)

Back