• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Where do you buy your spices?

I'm lucky in that the town I work in has a Penzy's store, and the town I live in just had a smaller bulk spice merchant just open. Penzy's has great stuff, and their bulk spices generally come in 4, 8 or 12 oz. increments, but if you have to order it online the shipping costs make it pretty pricy. I love the smells walking into these places.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Good thread, curious to see responses. I source most of my stuff from local weekend markets or Costco. I know Costco is a big box type store but their spices are actually very fresh compared to the same brand at grocery stores. I'll be checking in for sure!

^^^True statement and I find more than a little absurd, but whatever. How I can go to a bulk supply store like Sam's or Costco and get fresh veggies and spices that are fresher and stay good longer and are cheaper than Kroger is beyond me; but nevertheless, it is true.

As for other options, around southern Ohio we have an international market called Jungle Jim's. You can get practically anything there. http://www.junglejims.com/

Jeff H said:

^^^True statement and I find more than a little absurd, but whatever. How I can go to a bulk supply store like Sam's or Costco and get fresh veggies and spices that are fresher and stay good longer and are cheaper than Kroger is beyond me; but nevertheless, it is true.

As for other options, around southern Ohio we have an international market called Jungle Jim's. You can get practically anything there. http://www.junglejims.com/

Costco must have a better distribution network. It's pretty much just like bandwidth ... packet-routing etc ...

Jeff H said:

The black pepper is VERY FRESH! As is everything else and the cinnamon strikes me as so very fragrant. 

grantmichaels said:

Costco must have a better distribution network. It's pretty much just like bandwidth ... packet-routing etc ...
That is no doubt true. Back to why I buy big and seal. When making large batch rubs you cannot go wrong at Costco! Not to mention 7 pound bags of turbinado sugar! 

I've been using the 2 below now for several years and have been extremely happy with my purchases. One even does a pre-mix of one of my blends (min. 20 lbs) which helps reduce my costs.

One offers free shipping w/purchases of $35 or more.

Both have a great variety and give very good descriptions, use and history on many of their spices.

My Fav overall

Some of my spices

gallery_7191_120_27264.jpg

Back