• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Where White Flies come from

They come from neighbors!!

I have been having minor issues with white flies for a couple months. Nothing special, just occasionally see the white junk all over the underside of a leaf. I do end up just pulling the leaf and spraying it then dumping it in the trash. My dog was barking a bit too much at something so I went around behind my garage where I don't normally go and happened to look over the fence.
Half of his yard is a massive white fly infestation!

Is this a health department issue? I don't think he will do anything about it if I do ask him to.
He's that one guy on the block that brings everyones property values down by living in a pile of crap house with junk in the driveway, no lawn because he never watered or does any work at all...

What would you guys do? Seriously, I think I'll get in a bit of trouble if I just go and start bagging his diseased crap and I know he'll call the cops.
DSC_2996.jpg

DSC_3001.jpg

Sneak over every night at midnight and pour a little bit of gasoline.

When everything's dead, no more flies. Everything solved.

For actual advice, I dunno.

It wouldn't hurt to actually ask him about it.

Does your city have any ordinances dealing with overgrown/hazardous growth? Maybe a call or two to the city code enforcement office. I know the town I used to live in gave a week for the owner to take care of an issue, then they did it themselves and billed the owner... Not sure how it's done where I'm at now, but probably similar...

Worth a shot maybe...

That totally sux tho... I've been battling the freaking whiteflys and spider mites for a while... and losing the battle... I've got a systemic deal that seems to work (and pretty quickly) on the whiteflys on my ficus, but I don't want to use it on the eggplants and peppers. May just end up getting what pods I can for seeds and then nuking the yard... see what lives in the aftermath...

Good luck to you though... hard to keep your yard/plants going with a neighb... nah, they don't deserve to be called that... with someone like that living next to you...

well, I went over and talked to him this morning. He said he would hose it down when he had time.
I mentioned he would be better off with some dish soap and offered to loan him my hose jug thing but he went on to tell me he knows how...and water is all they need.
Oh well
Someone else suggested I talk to the fire dept and maybe get them to make him clean it up.
Thanks for the ideas!
Hopefully this will end well.

Back