• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wheres the best place?

For small 1 oz jars for powder? I found these, but I can buy full ones here for .25 more than the bottles sell for, has to be somewhere cheaper... Thanks

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin142.html

I too would like to know if there are cheaper ones.. Preferably ones that screw on so i dont look into my backpack and see bhut jolokia powder on everything... That would be a pain to clean.... -.- pun intended.

Those dont look to bad though.... they ar eless than $0.50 each not including shipping... thats not bad

I buy a lot of plastic vials from this place: http://www.thorntonplastics.com/ they may have something you can use.

Try a discount food store, and look for baby food jars... There is a local dollar store that (dunno if they still do) sold "high quality" baby food 4 for 1$.

http://www.thorntonplastics.com/index.php/10packs/vials10pack/3-dram.html would be nice for some pure superhot powder.. Not like most people would use more than a tiny tiny pinch on a whole meal anyway lol.. (for others that is. not your chili heads who would down that for lulz)

I've been looking for little containers like this on the internet for about 3 years and still haven't found anything I like. You are right, you can buy little containers with spice in them for a quarter more. Besides, the jars you are showing, like all the other ones, to me, have holes that are way too big than I would want to use for my bhut powder, yet alone scorpion powder.
My wife found the perfect container at Walmart, and an obscure brand of spice. At Walmart, they have 1 ounce containers of spices made by Tone's, for 89 cents each. These containers have the top with a sliding top on it. It has a single, large hole, some medium holes about the size of the containers shown, and then a group of very small holes that are perfect for the powder. I have yet to find any empty containers that have holes like this. It might be worth e-mailing Tone's to see if they would at least, sell a case of spices wholesale, or something, just to get the containers. At least at the 89 cents, you aren't paying for shipping, thats the total price.
I don't know about any of the other states, but until the middle of last year, here in Florida, if you sell home made pepper powder, you have to have a registered and certified kitchen that has to be inspected, just like what a restaurant would require. Now, you can do it in Florida, but the label has to be done correctly with lots of info on it, which these jars would be large enough to fit what needs to be labeled. As it is, with this new rule, you are still not allowed to sell the powder on the internet, or by any kind of mail order. I know this is a totally different subject, but chances are, anybody who is selling pepper powder here who does not have a certified kitchen they are working with, are probably selling illegally. All it takes is the wrong person to tell the USDA, and those people will be all over you. This happened to me with selling small containers of fertilizer, and I know I don't want something like that happening to me again. Everyone doing this should at least find out for themselves what their state allows before they go out into the real world selling anything like this.

Certified Kitchen is easy, wifey manages a restaurant Catering deal at the local college. I'm not lookin to sell, I have got tons of people hooked on it and want to get some together as gifts. Hell my neighbor a firefighter here, took some in and he has at least 10 people wanting some. Hence the need for a cheap price.

Coolio Dooms!

I go through a case of 910 of the 7 dram ones about three times a year. They make great traveling quarters for baby tarantulas.

Here's another place that may have something for you, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=container%20store&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.containerstore.com%2F&ei=GjlzT8O_A4GC2wWEyJz3Dg&usg=AFQjCNFVy7Q0E8PJ7ENKqmEi40daeSE44A&cad=rja

SS, I know what you mean. Every time I let someone try some of my powder, they just have to have some. I never knew how many people really love this stuff. There are even more people who like the powder than people who are willing to bite into a fresh super hot pepper. It just doesn't torch your lips or hurt you as much. I carry my little container with my bhut powder when I go to a restaurant and use it quite often. I even took it to a steak place the other day, and you know what? It even made the steak taste better and I never would have thought that it would be so good. So, SS, what powders are you making?
On the regulations, I wasn't really pointing that towards you in particular. There are several people on this forum who are selling powders, and after I found out what it would take for me to sell this stuff, it just made me wonder how many people are doing it legit and how many people are not. Its funny, I can sell all the peppers I want without any regulations (unless I want to certify them to be organic)but if I wanted to sell the same pepper cut in half, I have to have the certified kitchen. Anyway, after I cut the peppers in half, put them in my dehydrator and then grind them into powder, then they are a dried herb or seasoning, and then they can be legal again, as long as I put on a fancy label explaining they are made by a cottage business. You can sell as much as $15,000 worth that way, and if I sell more, I then have to have the certified kitchen. I figuerd, if I ever sell that much powder in a year, I can afford to build a building out back and have it inspected.

I've got a few different paprica's Of course some supers, but i would like to try a mix or two... I also have some Lumbre I would like to try And some of my Chimmayo. So your sayin you can sell up to 15 k not inspected? Kinda crazy what ever it is. I just need to find some of these small shakers for a quarter or so...

Good luck on finding new containers like these for a quarter, and if you do, I bet there are bunches of people here who would like to know where to find them. If I ever do, I'll certainly let you know. Now that you got me all worked up on this again, I may write to the spice company and see if they can give me an answer on who makes theirs. You never know what might happen until you at least try. I'll be making powder out of Fataliis, yellow 7 pods, bhuts, Naga Morich, Butch Ts, Morugas, and brain strains this year. I may play with making mixes, and I'm at least going to attempt to smoke a few on the grill to see how that works.
I have been thinking about making powders available outside my local group of people, so I have been going through all the websites from USDA and talking to my extension agents about what it takes top do this kind of thing for a living, so all the facts are still fresh in my mind. The thing that shocked me a little was the regulations for the people growing the peppers to sell. For me, I have had a registered plant nursery since 1986. I have all my paperwork to do business and get inspected on a regular basis by plant inspectors. I also have to sign compliance agreements on how I will treat certain plants that go to certain states, and I have to have extra inspections to certify my plants to go to other states. People want to know what chemcials are being used and how they are applied and by who, and this is just for plants that nobody will eat. BUT, if you want to be a hot pepper farmer, you can just about do anything you want if all your selling is raw peppers. You can use any chemical you want and use it any way you want and nobody is going to check on you to see if you do what your supposed to do. They just assume you will use the right chemicals and always adhere to label instructions. This whole thing has really made me think more about the food we buy at the store, thats for sure. Now, if you want to be able to package your peppers and label them as organically grown, THEN there will be inspections, etc. As far as the powder goes, it has to do with being a cottage business and the selling of seasonings. A pepper that is not in its perfect natural form and not turning into a dried herb or seasoning has to be prepared by a business set up like a resataurant. This new rule allows people who want to bake a few cakes at home and sell them or bread, or something like that, to be able to do it. I guess they think that if you sell more than $15,000 in a year, that you are more of a professional, and not just doing it as a side line. As it is, for the powder. You can not sell it on line, or by mail order of any kind. It MUST be picked up at your business, or personally delivered in order to be able to sell it. You also have to sell it to a person and not directly to a resataurant. I know I'm expecting to have about 60 to 80,000 peppers this year, and I'm not going to be eating all of them, so I am needing to figure what I'm going to do with all that, one way or the other. Some day we should get together. I'm just off I-4 west of you a little bit.

I'll keep lookin around... It really make ya wonder what people are thinkin when they make the rules. Well it's understandable... look at our Guberment...

Back