• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Which bleeding calyx type for cooking?

The bleeding calyx is my favorite newish genetic trait, and I’d love to grow an example. However, my main interest is in culinary potential, and I’m trying to stay below 500K SHU for now…

First, has someone bred a milder bleeding calyx type that I’ve overlooked? If not, bringing the bleeding calyx to a milder pepper might become my first breeding project. So…

Second, in your experience, which bleeding calyx type has the most promising flavor for cooking and sauce? I’m not as interested in drying.

BBG Pumpkin is Red Bubblegum x Minorcan Datil. I can imagine that flavor is pretty amazing and it looks just like a little pumpkin. To reign in the heat you could use less of them in your recipe. But the Datil cross makes me wonder if it is a little tamer.

Maybe someone with a firmer knowledge of plant breeding genetics can weigh in on whether it actually makes the most sense to start with the original source of the trait, 7 Pot Bubblegum itself.

Assuming equal stability, is it advantageous to make my cross with the origin variety or is any variety with the desired trait as good as another?

There were a couple of BBG7 crosses around with the Aji Jobito, the latter has virtually no heat. I see to remember there was a yellow version and a chocolate version which were both sub-Habanero level heat. WhiteHotPeppers definitely used to have the yellow version as I got some from there once, some years ago though. Also recollect there was a version with a bleeding calyx and one without.

For breeding yourself, best chances of passing on the bleeding calyx will be using a cultivar that's as stable as possible. That's not to say you can't get it from other cultivars but you're always going to get more predictable results from using stable parents.

My personal favorite is the frutescen x chinense cross Mojo Frutegum from Mojo Pepper in Italy.
Unfortunately, its owner closed up shop and moved on to other interests.
Here's a link to his old blog:
http://mojopepper.blogspot.com/2015/12/mojo-frutegum-frutescens-x-chinense.html

I was able to find a few Frutegum seeds a couple years ago here in the states, and have been working to stabilize their bleeding calyx trait myself.
I've got a bit of traveling to do the next couple weeks, but when I return I plan on offering some seeds.
I'll post in a separate thread when I'm ready.

My personal favorite is the frutescen x chinense cross Mojo Frutegum from Mojo Pepper in Italy.
Unfortunately, its owner closed up shop and moved on to other interests.
Here's a link to his old blog:
http://mojopepper.blogspot.com/2015/12/mojo-frutegum-frutescens-x-chinense.html

I was able to find a few Frutegum seeds a couple years ago here in the states, and have been working to stabilize their bleeding calyx trait myself.
I've got a bit of traveling to do the next couple weeks, but when I return I plan on offering some seeds.
I'll post in a separate thread when I'm ready.
@mlh5953 Nice! Just out of curiosity, what color(s) are you working on? I know there is some red, orange and mustard floating around but I doubdt that any are stable yet...

Last edited:
1B353E96-4FEF-4C10-A841-0ABB1D4375BD.jpeg
This is (a not very good photo of) a Devils Tongue I grew from seed from Refining Fire last year. I grew two plants, indoor and outdoor, and this is the indoor one which set fruit about a month later than the outdoor and was the only one of the two to have bleed and that was only in later fruits.
They both look weird for Devils Tongues - more round than elongated - but flavor and heat wise, that’s what they seem to be.

1B353E96-4FEF-4C10-A841-0ABB1D4375BD.jpeg
This is (a not very good photo of) a Devils Tongue I grew from seed from Refining Fire last year. I grew two plants, indoor and outdoor, and this is the indoor one which set fruit about a month later than the outdoor and was the only one of the two to have bleed and that was only in later fruits.
They both look weird for Devils Tongues - more round than elongated - but flavor and heat wise, that’s what they seem to be.

Only ever had Devil's Tongue from Pepperlover, and it was more elongated than the one in the photo.
Reminds me more of a Yellow BBG7 I grew from Texas Hot Peppers a few years ago.
Looks great regardless :dance:

Thanks.
I’ve never heard of a Devils Tongue with a bleeding calyx before. Anyone else?
I over wintered both plants and I’m growing out seeds from them so we’ll see what happens this year.

Back