• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which chilli for stuffing?

Hi all!

I like the idea of stuffed peppers as something to add to my limited cooking repertoire (must impress the girlfriend!).

Which pepper varieties are good for stuffing? I'm thinking something fairly large but not huge, not too hot, and good flavour?

Any recommendations would be great! Currently i have growing a lot of HOT peppers, but none that could be stuffed or used in general cooking easily, apart from Jalapenos. (I am growing a few ornamentals, as well as Orange Habs, Bhut Jolokia, 7pot, Trinidad Scorp, and Jalapenos)

So i guess i'm also after your favourites for good cooking chillies as well :) but mainly for stuffing!

Search turned up jalapenos and bishops crowns as a start, anyone have any other favourites?

The yellow hot wax also known as bannana chilli is good. I have it growing. It turns red at maturity and has a nice heat level to it. It is about 10cm long and probably 3 or 4cm wide from memory. It starts off green and you can use it yellow or red.

Anaheims are good stuffed but I'm going to suggest Poblano. Roast them under the broiler, place them in a plastic bag to sweat, peel the skin off, cut the seeds out, slit down the side, stuff with Jack cheese, etc., coat with whipped egg, fry lightly in oil, and cover with your favorite salsa. That's chile rellenos and she will be impressed.....

I use all kinds of chiles for stuffing including: Anaheims, poblanos, bishop's crown, cherry peppers, cubanelles, pimento types, fresno, jalapeno, wax/banana peppers, and many others

Even though they are hybrids, I prefer other Anaheim types like Big chile hybrid and Sahuaro Hybrid. BigJims never seem to grow very big for me but they are productive:(

if you really want to get her attention...stuff a couple of 7 Pots...

POTAWIE said:
Even though they are hybrids, I prefer other Anaheim types like Big chile hybrid and Sahuaro Hybrid. BigJims never seem to grow very big for me but they are productive:(

Hey, don't you stuff Bishop's Crowns also?

Sickmont said:
Hey, don't you stuff Bishop's Crowns also?

Ya, although mild the bishop's crown are usually a great shape for stuffing and make a unique looking appetizer

2427425653_45f53045d6.jpg

Ive tried this Potawie because they look so good and are they ever!!! I ramped up the heat a bit with a serrano added green onion very nice

POTAWIE said:
Ya, although mild the bishop's crown are usually a great shape for stuffing and make a unique looking appetizer

2427425653_45f53045d6.jpg

Yeah, unique and very attractive. I must place this one on my grow list for next year just so I can create a "WOW FACTOR" plate like that. :cheers:

LUCKYDOG said:
anyone ever stuff a rocoto?

Bents Siams are good stuffed as well

I stuffed Rocotos last year. Yellow Rocoto/Manzano is what I used. They ruled! I stuffed 12 of them and brought them to a Xmas party. They were gone in 2 seconds!

AlabamaJack said:
if you really want to get her attention...stuff a couple of 7 Pots...

*LOL* I doubt it is THAT kind of attention he's looking for...

I especially love stuffed orange habs.

POTAWIE said:
Very nice. It looks like the shape of the bottom acts like a stand.

Back