• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Which Fox Farm product is best ?

How many times are we going to see the bark picture?

I have seen it in 4 threads at least.

Just curious.......

Just trying to help people understand the concept of air porosity in the grow medium. Pro Bx has 20% perlite so it has 18-22% air porosity when wet. HP has up to 25-30%. That picture of the bark that has 35-40% air porosity when wet. If you have been growing containers a while and want to step up your results increase your grow medium partical size.

I make sure to only bring it up when grow medium is being talked about. In this case someone was wondering what perlite does for the soil then I explained. I have to clear up some things for viewers that really might want to learn.

When someone gives advice like "perlite does nothing if you add it" and does not understand why promix HP grows plants faster then Pro bx I have to clear it up.

Pro hp grows peppers quiker then Bx Why? Because HP has more perlite. Thus, why it is called HP= high porosity

I think most of us understand that plants need oxygen to grow.

I'm glad you were able to "clear things up for the viewers that really want to learn." The rest of us are just here for the comedy. I missed who gave the advice that "perite does nothing if you add it" and man am I happy to have someone clear that up.

Perlite is a wonderful thing to add to a growing medium I agree. But it isn't the only thing necessary to grow a good plant. I grew up in Iowa and currently live in Nebraska, two states that do a bit of growing. I have yet to see a farmer adding perlite to a field.

Growing containers and in ground is different. The earth wicks away moisture from the soil. The confinement of a pot is much different then growing in ground. If you add perlite to fox farm you increase your harvest. I know from experience.

Hydro grows say 1.5X the healthy plant then soil.

Soil mixed with perlite grows plants say1.2x healthy as soil. You can not go wrong adding perlite to potting soil and then fertilizing more often with a complete fertilizer program. I use potting mix with no perlite too in small containers, it works very well. Heavy medium can have its uses, grow big plants in small containers and with a lighter mix calls for a larger container to plant size. So yes I take advantage of using potting mix with no added perlite.

Now I'm confused. First it's "you cannot go wrong adding perlite to potting soil..." then it's "I take advantage of using potting mix with no added perlite." Previously it was 100% perlite would be the best and now it's "I take advantage of using potting mix with no added perlite."

Are you saying that there are times when you wouldn't want to add perlite? That it would depend upon circumstances and what you intend to grow in it? Kind of what I've been saying from the beginning. Glad we could agree. :halo:

Also when figuring out air porosity isn't it necessary to have a figure for volume before you can get to a percentage?

I will have to stop giving many information because many are looking at me like I am flooding this too much, when I am just trying to help new gardeners???

"I can't really say if adding perlite would help or not"

I can, When You increase the grow medium air porosity you grow faster plants. If adding perlite did nothing then growing in hydroponics would not yield more in a faster harvest then soil. Why? Because the air at the roots.

Many growers will NOT use potting mix or peat at all because thae want faster results. So yes adding perlite will grow plants way faster.

Look at my 1/2"-1" bark media above in the picture. That has even higher air porosity then pro mx hp.

Where do I get this bark? I am fasinated by the idea of more air. I guess somehow in my cranium it dowsn't compute but I'm gonna try it.

I'm not real familiar with the amount of perlite in either mix Robin so I can't really say if adding perlite would help or not. I would assume that both mixes contain the amount the manufacturers believe is the best. When I do try something new I like to use it straight up and do any adjustments as/if necessary. I have used Happy Frog Soil Conditioner and absolutely love it. I use it with old, used medium to crank it back up or I use a small amount of it with some of the more basic mixes. You can turn Pro Mix BX into Pro Mix HP with the addition of the HF Soil Conditioner.

I will usually pot up from the 3 oz cups to 20 oz cups when I have four true leaves. If the seedling got leggy I'll do it a bit earlier and then pot up to the cotyledons.

Here's a couple that I'll be potting up real soon.

DSC016791700x1275.jpg

The cotyledons got a bit sunburned from being too close to the light. Having some back troubles and I'm not able to keep as close an eye on them as I would like.

So HF is a soil conditioner ? Ever use it as the lone medium ?

Was thinking of potting up into Roots Organic 707 but then I heard it was a mix that was for folks who wanted to add thei own nutes so then I thought I would use Ocean Forrest but for some reason that I can't explain because I have no experience with it I am fasinated with Happy Frog. Maybe because I saw it has Microbal Fungi not sure maybe it's instinct but I can't shake it. Now I am thinking that I'm gonna add some perlite or bark to some as well as oyster shell.

No, I've never used HF soil conditioner on it's own. I'm thinking it may be a little hot on it's own.

If your trying to keep expenses down start thinking about making your own. Most of the pricier mixes are around 70% peat. You can get 3.0 cf bales of it for under $10. I'd go with 20-25% perlite, with the remaining 5-10% some type of limestone to counter the acidity of the peat, worm castings, Alaskan humus and some mycorrhizae. Then just fertilize as necessary. That's what I used to make my mix out of, put it all together in a kiddy swimming pool. Then I ran into some back problems and now it's Pro Mix HP.

It is coco coir in the cups. That's what I generally germinate my seeds in. Good eye.

I know I've already put in my vote for Happy Frog, but allow me to throw some evidence out as to how good it actually is. I repotted a bhut jolokia that was damaged by one of my cats and was in a very poor soil mixture into the Happy Frog 3 weeks ago. This plant was in VERY bad shape, dropping leaves daily. 3 weeks later, the plant has not only rebounded and producing beautifully green leaves, it also now has 7 buds forming on it. The plant is only 6 inches tall. So really, if you have the money for it, I would highly recommend Happy Frog. And no, it's not the HF soil conditioner, it is the HF Potting Mix.

To rehash the perlite debate, I have seen plants grown successfully in nothing but perlite. Keep in mind however it has little to no moisture retention, and you would have to water the plant multiple times a day to keep it alive & thriving.

Well guys after al this think I'm gonna buy two bags of each and some perlite and try different combinations .. I got about 250-300 plants to pot up so I will just see which does the best. How much perlite should I add ? Oh I am also gonna mix in some extra oyster shell.

300 plants to pot up!!!! wow nice!!!!

Aw ok, two bags each of Fox Farm More shells could or could not up your ph. I like lime as it's just a better buffer when it comes down to it and cheaper. But if you get shells for free.... If your at 6 ph you should not use shells or lime....

Yea add some perlite. Ask at the hydroponic store where you get it, they will for sure tell you to add perlite to increase your watering and harvest.

To keep it economical you really do not have to use perlite.

"two bags of each and some perlite and try different combinations "

Do a test this year, one plant with 50% perlite 50% soil, water and fertilize more, and you will see it will be a larger harvest then your just potting soil alone.

Again, those potting mixes are just fine by them self.

I am using a mix of ProMix BX and Happy Frog. My mix ratio is 4/1. So 4 parts BX, 1 part HF. The plants seem to like it. This is my first year growing so I have yet to see the yields but I am pretty happy with the mix so far.

Just thought of a secondary question if you were gonna mix some perlite into your Fox Farms soil how much would you add? 10%, 20%, more or less?

Couldn't find the technical data on the Ocean Forest so I don't know how much is in it to start. Looking at a picture of it the amount of perlite looks low for my tastes. I would add four or five quarts to each big bag of th Ocean Forest

Couldn't find the technical data on the Ocean Forest so I don't know how much is in it to start. Looking at a picture of it the amount of perlite looks low for my tastes. I would add four or five quarts to each big bag of th Ocean Forest

+1 That sounds perfect.

Back