• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which of these peppers would do well in the Wally Bags?

Please help me identify the plants that would be OK for a season in Wally Bags. Or' if it's easier to pick the ones that are too big, that's more-than-fine! Probably be easier to just copy-n-paste whichever category ones right onto your post. I'm flat-out clueless!

Aji Dulce #2 (peppermania)
Cubanelle (the seed kingdom)
Red Mushroom(Shane)
Goats Weed (Shane)
Yellow 7 Pot (Shane)
Zanahoria Triangulo(Shane)
NagaBrain(Windchicken)
Hot Jalapeno?
SerranoTampiqueno(Botanical Interests)
Cayenne Blend(Botanical Interest)
Mini Red Bell Pepper (?)
Kaleidoscope (peppermania)
Devil's Tongue (Phil)
Pasillo Baijo (peppermania)
Jamaican Hot Red(Shane)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Shane)
Caribbean Red(Shane)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Tomato Growers)
Gypsy (Tomato Growers)
Mulatto Islenos (peppermania)
Bishop's Crown (peppermania)
Belize Sweet (peppermania)
Aji Panca (peppermania)
Aji Picante (peppermania)
Trinidad Perfume (peppermania)
Aji Lemon Drop (Phil)
Fatali (Tomato Growers)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Phil)
Marconi Red (pinetree)
Peruvian White Habanero (ms1476)
Congo Trinidad (Tomato Growers)
Romy6's "NagaBrain" cross (windchicken)
Mariachi (Tomato Growers)
Tobago Seasoning (thegreenman)
Caribbean Red (Tomato Growers)

In general, annuums say fairly small, and a bag is fine. For the others, the site http://chileplants.com has information for several that are on your list, regarding their adult size. There are probably other nursery sites that have similar info. On your list I've grown aji dulce, trinidad perfume, fatalii, and congo trinidad. Those may or may not be fine for the first season in such bags - totally depends on your growth factors - but all can get fairly large.

Ray, I think from that list, only the Kaleidescope would work if it's an ornamental. The Inca red Drop I sent you might do ok too. I didn't know what "wally bags" were. Suspected, but had to look it up.

Good Luck
Mike

Edit: I just looked at Beths site and saw that the Kaleidoscope is a C. bacattum. That will probably be a little big for the wall bags. The sprawling habit of the Inca would probably look nice though.

Ray, I think from that list, only the Kaleidescope would work if it's an ornamental. The Inca red Drop I sent you might do ok too. I didn't know what "wally bags" were. Suspected, but had to look it up.

Good Luck
Mike

Edit: I just looked at Beths site and saw that the Kaleidoscope is a C. bacattum. That will probably be a little big for the wall bags. The sprawling habit of the Inca would probably look nice though.

He's talking about the blue wal-mart "mesh" bags you can from walmart. A few members on here have grown with success in these the past few years.

Yessir! Wally Bags are the SHIZ!
I think just about all of those should do fine in wally bags.
They hold just under 5gallons of dirt so I dont think size is going to be a major concern unless you are trying to grow
"Guru Trees."

I have had a few get 6' in wally bags. In the summer they dry out fast, but that can be fixed by putting a plastic shopping bag over the bottom of the wally bag.

These guys where pruned back so I could get in to the green house..
IMG_20130104_170523.jpg

those mesh-bags are basically doing the same as air-pots ... they air-prune your roots ... so you will get more-stronger radial roots instead of those 6 ft long spiralling alien-lookalikes, that take forever to pump up nutes to your plant ...

I am sure the wally-bag does 90% of what this bag does at 5% its cost

here is a pretty good explanation
cheers
al

Cayennemist, your posts are what finally convinced me to give the Wally Bags a go. I read where you were somewhat sceptical in the beginning and now, with the proof and great results, have provided us with the evidence that THEY WORK!

There is enough room for about 20 peppers in my garden and my wife is gonna be standing there with her hands on her hips insisting , demanding hoping that I don't put more than 20 containers around the house. But, seeds keep mysteriously materializing in my mailbox! I mean, can you leave pepper seeds unplanted?

A few weeks back I took a stumble, never fell, but cracked a vertebrae . Rapidly improving though. As soon as I can hump soil-filled bags, I'm starting.

I just needed to know if any of my particular peppers would be really "cramped" by the Wally Bags and, would therefore, do much better in the ground.

Cayennemist said; I
have had a few get 6' in wally bags. In the summer they dry out fast, but that can be fixed by putting a plastic shopping bag over the bottom of the wally bag.

We owned an irrigation business for many years. My irrigation system will be plenty tough/substantial, very inexpensive to buy and a veritable "mizer" on water usage!

Al-from-Chile; I have been reading about air-pruning for years. The containers were always very expensive though. Between the Wally Bags and, the availability of the woven disaster sandbags, have made this a great deal for those of us who really want the extra production that comes with air-pruning. I haven't yet picked up any of the discarded sandbags yet and, have no idea how much they will hold. Some folks believe that a taller/narrower bag is actually better. My guess is they might be more prone to topple-over.

If you have a light weight soil mix, that gets dry, and the plant is tall and not wide, yes it will be top heavy.

I prune mine to be tall and not wide to get more to fit in to my greenhouse. Naturally peppers like to grow nice and wide with a low center of gravity.

I just put a glass top on my greenhouse today, my goal is to make it like a jungle in there. I need to make a door to keep out the damn hornworms. Its still getting cold at night here so hopefully the new roof over their heads will speed things up.

Back