• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which plant grows larger?

Capsicum

Banned
I am planning my container pepper garden and need to get some pots still. Which one of these plants need a larger pot> Jalapeno vs Hot cherry.

This will really help, thanks in advance.

I would say the hot cherry would at least be taller and bigger, maybe not as bushy, but that is just me, see what other people on here say, I've only had jalapeno once, but have had a bunch of cherry pepper plants

+1 Max

I've grown both.. in.. believe it or not 2gal pots.
They both did great, the jalapeno was bushier and did better IMO in such a small container.
I had 40+ peppers with the jalapeno.. maybe 20+ with the cherry.. If I had to put one in a larger container it would be the hot cherry, it is alot taller than a jalapeno plant. but than again I think jalapenos produce more.. If it were me I'd put them both in pretty good sized pots.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, Thanks Max, that helped. I am using 2 gal pots this year, with fertilizer 2 gal work well. With smaller pots you can end up with more harvest because the plant does not sit in wet soil all day because the smaller pot heats up and easy and needs more watering. I will grow cherry peppers in my #2 pots and jalapeno in #1 pots.

Thanks again.

Ok so now I have another question. Which one grows larger, Cayenne pepper plant or the other two, jalapeno and cherry. I thought the Cayenne but I always grew in the same sized containers so I never really knew which plants could use a larger pot. I want to use the right size for each veriety. This has helped so far, thanks everyone.

I am not saying you need to do this, but I don't put any plants in less than 5 gallon containers (unless they are ornamentals)...if you have room and the funds, I would recommend 5s...I am assuming you have a fairly long grow season but you don't say where you are...

Yes sorry bout that :halo: I am in zone 5a/6 so I do not live in the best area to grow peppers. I know it sounds strange I am using such small containers but I find I can get pretty huge harvests with smaller pots becuase of my fertilizer regimen. I cant say my medium has the best drainage so small pots work better for me as long as I use bamboo to hold up each plant.

So can anyone suggest what size a habanero might get in a north climate like mine?

And how about the Cayenne? I do all my ornamentals in the 1 gal pots, maybe jalapeno.

I'm with AJ. I've only done limited container growing, but it was obvious my Jalapeno was maxxed out (rootbound) by mid-September in a 3-gallon pot. Leaves started to yellow, no matter how good the ferts. It was amazing to see the rootball. I wish I had originally put it in 5-gallon, would've gotten another crop o 'pods cause the Big Chill didn't come until late October.

Good luck, and post your results. I hope you can prove me wrong.... :cool:

Yea this will be the first year I will be taking pictures so I will do a lot of varieties. Thanks for the tip on the siz pots.

I am not saying you need to do this, but I don't put any plants in less than 5 gallon containers (unless they are ornamentals)...if you have room and the funds, I would recommend 5s...I am assuming you have a fairly long grow season but you don't say where you are...

I have used 7 gallon containers with jalapenos, serranos, and poblanos. All of them grew to 30-36", and looked really healthy.

Back