• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which to start in trays together

So I am waiting until the end of February to get things germinating and going. I am undecided if I want to paper towel it or in soil. Never did paper towels before and always ended up going too deep when doing in the soil. I am thinking of laying them on the soil and just sprinkling more soil over top instead of pressing them in.

My main question though is what will do best in the same trays if it will matter at all in regards to growing faster then others. I am starting germination the last day of February and planting out after last frost in the beginning of May. Due to lack of space and Lighting I am trying to not have to transplant until they go out. I am shooting for 3-4 inch high plants when it is time to plant out.

Each full tray has 6 sections that each have 6 cells. The climbing shelves I have planned will have 3 shelves each will hold 2 trays.

Went through my seeds and have enough that a 50%-75% germination rate will yield.

Trinidad Scorpion - 12
Yellow Scorpion - 12
Chocolate Habanero - 18
Caribbean Red Habanero - 30
White Habanero - 6
Bhut Jolokia - 12
Naga Jolokia - 30
Naga Morich - 18
Douglah - 6
Indonesian Chile - 12
Jimmy Nardello Sweet - 12
7 Pod - 12
Trinidad Congo Red - 3
Tepin - 6
Manzano - 6
Fatalli - 9
Thai Fire - 6
Cross Project - 6

Total of 216 plants

As I typed this I remembered seeing people start a bunch in a big open tray then transplant to the cells. I will be using the top of my heater for germ so that will probably be the way I start them. Still up in the air.

From what I read that perfect 80-85F is needed for germination, but can be lowered a little once they sprout.

Looking for any input or corrections to stupidity.

Stupidity really should be painful. Would be great to warn me when it starts flowing through my body. lol.

most of what you are growing is C.Chinense so you can plant them any way you want. for the tepin i would say start now it need longer time for germination and for the jimmy Nardello it is avery fast growing plant its should be ok if you plant them at the end of feb. for using towels i never did i always put them 1\4 of inch directly in the dirt.
good luck

I make an indentation in the soil no more than 1/4" deep and then sprinkle fresh soil over the top. 80-85 is perfect but we have had a few days here of 104+with nights of 85 and they are popping up madly.
I keep on saying, they are tough little fockers.
Most of the chinense should germinate first
then the bhuts/nagas
then the tepins
Thats my experience anyways.

Back