• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Which would be a good pepper to replace the jalapeno in grilled poppers?

Hi all,

Still learning my way around the pepper world and this forum. I make a lot of grilled jalapeno poppers, and have them down quite well. However, I was wondering what other peppers would be good to use to make them. I grill these for a wide range of palettes, so I wish not to use nuclear hot varieties, but would like to find an alternate that I can use at times that have a little more heat to them... AND/OR ... something that has more flavor too. They would have to be similar in size(or little larger) to jalapenos as this is a great size to make the poppers, and thick walled so they can hold up for 45+ minutes of indirect grilling. Please let me know your suggestions. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts!

Here is a pic of my poppers. So good.. you can even eat them for breakfast!
If you have not tried these, and wish to... I would be glad to share how I do them.

Smokedjalapenopoppers100.jpg

SQ you 'sho 'nuff know how to make an entrance. Check out the popper thread in the Cooking with Fire forum. Those ABT's of yours have hot blue and righteous all over them. I second the call for rocoto's but not for the serrano's. Too skinny and generally a pita to stuff. I prefer fresno's when I can get them and they add a little more heat than 'peno's. Being in Austin, you should be able to find them at the hippy joint aka Whole Foods or Central Market which usually has a pretty good variety of chile's to choose from. Last time I was at CM they even had bags of fresh green and red pequins.

I agree on the Fresnos. Better than most store bought green jalapenos and they have a little more kick. They are thinner walled, but better tasting.

Hey Smiter, The peppers I mentioned for growing in my PM are not the best for poppers. I agree with those above about Fresno. You could also try Santa Fe Grande and Espelette Basque, and I will think of some others.

Mike

Jalamundos aren't very hot but they're great for popppers! You can chop up as much of a superhot as you like and add it to the cream cheese mix for the desired amount of heat.

Maybe try Biker Billy Jalapenos if you haven't they are larger and hotter. Maybe don't look for another pepper but mix in trace amounts (or liberal) of hotter dried powders or small hot peppers inside the contents. Such as a wild Tepin, (historically famous in Texas) for a nice 10 min burn or split a peruvian white hab in two, or try a cumari do para pod in the mix a longer burn but mixed with the other ingredients of the popper should be tolerable for most people who want a popper. They might not eat so many.

Good Luck

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the ideas. I have chopped serranos and added them in, but have not tried others yet. I need to research the names you all listed here and see where to get them. I have also came across the name,JOLORO. But know little about it, other than it is a jalapeno and Santa fe grande mix.. which is why I thought it might be cool to try too.

Thanks again

Brian

Amish Sweet Apples are good too - on par, or a little more mild than a Jalapeno, and a good flavor. Size is MUCH bigger than a jalapeno.

One of my favorite tasting peppers. Kinda like a jalapeno but sweeter.

Back