spirits whiskey questions

I don't know of any whiskies but we do make a lot of rum. The reason it's so expensive over here is that our bastard government just loves ripping us off. Thats why i bought a still.

Davetaylor said:

Hahahahaha....You wouldn't believe that I'm looking at the same thing!!!!! I have got my eye on a few auctions that have a bottle of the ISLE OF JURA SUPERSTITION...

peter pepper said:
holy smokes you pay $38-$40 AUD for Jim Beam - that's somewhere around $36-$38 USD.

do you have any Australian based whiskey's or is everything an import for you??

We have a number of Whisky makers here in Australia and it's my personal opinion that they are pretty good......They are a little pricy but the quality is there. I wouldn't rate them up with a port ellen or Ardbeg but I'm proud to have a bootle on my shelf knowing it tastes bloody nice!!!

LARK Distillery Tasmainia
Limeburners Western Australia
Sullivans Cove Tasmainia
Hellyers Road Tasmainia

I have a bottle of the now finish Barrel 5 from Limeburner and it's a very nice drop (a lot like a taliker 10), and I've tasted the rest and am looking forward to having a bottle of each soon. The Hellyers road have a nice peat whisky which I enjoy!!

Beerswimmer said:
Her's what I would suggest:

Just get some good whisky and add 1/8 water to it for now. Put it in a fat, round wine glass or a snifter if you have one. Stick your nose into the glass and smell deeply. Take a sip, and hold it in your mouth for at least 15 seconds. Slowly move the liquid around to different parts of your mouth before you swallow. When you swallow breathe in through your mouth, and out through your nose. It helps get it up into your nasal passages. Kepp breathing like that for a while. After about a minute take a tiny sip of water and see if that gets any more flavors going in your mouth again.

This.
So much this.
Pretty much exactly how I review beers. Except for adding water and differences in glassware for the style of beer.

I'd also recommend starting off on something simple.
Don't get rotgut, but don't start off with top of the line whiskeys, either. Something like Jack will do nicely. Something with simple flavors, and something that is consistent in quality.
After drinking the good, mid-range whiskeys for a while, then start to move your bar higher, but only after you're comfortable describing the characteristics of what you're drinking.

Do some research on how to get the most out of your drop of choice.
http://www.maltadvocate.com/docs/whisky_resources/default.aspx
Good page there.

You may also want to find a good bar near you and start up a few conversations. You'll probably find someone who is really into the scene and knows the drill and will be more than willing to share a good convo with you. I was lucky enough to find this dude I call my Beer Guru, knew his beer inside and out and basically taught me how to properly enjoy a beer. He started me on Budweiser of all things. It was the easy flavors and the staggering year to year consistency of it that made it a perfect brew to learn how to review a beer on.

Hope it helps.

"All bourbons are whiskeys but not all whiskeys are bourbons"
I stick with mostly bourbon as they suit me well. Some of my favorites are:
Wathens 8 year old single barrel
ezra b 12 year old single barrel
evan williams 10 year old single barrel
MY FAVORITE IS ELIJAH CRAIG 18 YEAR OLD SINGLE BARREL it is smooth smooth smooth and extremely cheap for how long it is aged. I am have tried almost all of the bourbons and whiskeys out there and stick with mainly those and of course jameson whiskey and makers mark. The problem I have with aging any bourbon or whiskey for a long time and sour mashing it seems to be a shame.

moyboy said:
I'd have to agree with you JayT, the Elijah Craig 12 yr is a beautiful bourbon and is pretty cheap for the quality.....It's around $48-$50 AUD and it's miles infront of things like white label beam which is only $10 cheaper here!!!!

just so you feel better - i was at the store today and noticed a bottle of Jim Beam white label for $15 USD. :)

actually the US is sorta similar in taxes on liquor. I live close to the state border and by Chicago. If I buy a bottle of whatever in Indiana I will pay one price, the same bottle just across the border in Illinois with be higher (due to higher state taxes), and if I ventured into Chicago that bottle would be even higher yet (due to county and city of Chicago taxes). I haven't searched it out, but would guess a large part of the price of liquor is all taxes. Image liquor prices without the taxes!!! :)

Without taxes one would pay around $3 a bottle, bloody rip-off merchants that call themselves the government need a stern talking to!! :lol:

For mixing with cola I say go no better than Canadian mist maybe if you want to get Jim Bean.

If you mix your vodka get Skul vodka. Its like $12 a half gallon

Novacastrian said:
Without taxes one would pay around $3 a bottle, bloody rip-off merchants that call themselves the government need a stern talking to!! :lol:

While in Organic Chemistry class in 1977, the professor said it costs $ 0.64 to distill a 95% pure ethanol product so I can believe $3 a gallon now...

ChristopherF said:
For mixing with cola I say go no better than Canadian mist maybe if you want to get Jim Bean.

If you mix your vodka get Skul vodka. Its like $12 a half gallon

I just don't like mixin' my whiskey or blends....

Nick M said:
Perhaps you should try a whisky liqeuer once, like Drambuie... its really good :P

or if you really want to get a buzz, hit about 3 yeagers in a row, sit back and enjoy the ride.... :rofl:

lol...i spelled yeager...I must have been drunk...imagine that...

Ha ha ha, I love Jager. Here is a shot of our detached garage/manland. Bar is almost done, just needs backsplash and finish on bartop.

SDC10263.jpg

SDC10264.jpg

In this last one you can see some overwintered plants and my bigscreen.

SDC10265.jpg

Back