• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

White Bumpy things ...

When I started to water my young plants today I noticed a few had these little white bumpy things. I rubbed them and got no stain on my finger and a squirt of water didn't make them move. So I don't think it's bugs.

Sorry no pictures .... wifey took my camera to the un-stable to take pictures of the horses today.

Any guess on what it might be .... and if so .... how do I get rid of them ?

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Wouldn't have a clue, but if your luck is anything like mine, it's gotta be something bad :P

Seriously though, I hope it's nothing major and someone else here will have the answer.

Its probably not this, but if they are on the lower parts of the stem it could just be roots, that might come from the plants standing a bit to wet. Otherwise it sounds like some insect :/ Hope it sorts out for the best

I would concur with Blafa. :)

White bumpy things on the stem, particularly the bottom half of the stem (on younglings) will probably be roots. I get them all the time on mine. I just add compost to them to let the little roots grow. Just gives you plant more roots...

But if they be bugs...:(

Is it on the underside of the leaves? That is a sign of overwatering called oedema or something like that. If its that then water less and you will have no problems

I agree with workman. I got the same thing on my plants in the basement. I water them the same as the ones upstairs, but only the ones it the basement have the spots. It's because the plants can't get rid of the water as fast because it is so damp in the basement. Maybe a fan or a change of location would help as well as cutting back on watering.

It's not roots growing off a stem. I know what roots look like .

millworkman may be right. Maybe over watering ... it's the under side of the leaves, nothing to do with the stems.

Have the fan .....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

nice picture millguy, wonder if we can start a completely separate topic category called Problems or Issues or something similar not disease that's a little to harsh but a separate category that allow members who have problems like oedema from overwatering or leaf burn from over fertilizing or even aphids, spider mites etc., to got to first to look up concerns.

I had my first case oedema this year and was able to pinpoint it by first doing a Hotpepper search and from all the old posting I hit a home run and identified it as oedema..... hey..... I am an oedema survivor, there's a new tee shirt.

With a new category separated by subcategories would really set this forum apart from all others especially with all the experience and pictures but membership would grow too.

oh, by the way dreadie, what type of pepper plant is it, some can be more prone to problems than others. my goatsweed are pretty much teflon coated, they never have problems but my chinese all suffer from slow growth in early stages, tepin take ages to produce and ripen, Fresno have classic bumps on the lower stems making you think there is a problem.

millworkman said:
Dreadie, does it look like this? This is mine from last year.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/millworkman/peppers 2009/IMG_2890.jpg

HEEEEEYYYYYYY SOME OF MY BELL PEPPER PLANTS HAVE THAT TOO NONE OF THE HOT PEPPERS GOT IT BUT THEY DIDNT HARDLY WILT....AND I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST BECAUSE I FORGOT TO WATER THEM ONCE AND THEY WILTED AND THEN I WATERED THE $HIT OUT OF THEM ONCE I NOTICED........ AND I FIGURED IT WAS THE CELLS EXPLODING FROM TOO MUCH WATER OR SOMETHING......

SO WHAT IS THAT CALLED??????? THE ONES OF MINE THAT HAVE IT HAVE IT WAY WORSE TOO...... THEIR DOING FINE AND NONE OF THE NEW GROWTH HAS IT, JUST THE BOTTOM FEW SETS OF LEAVES

SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK FORGOT IT WAS ON TIL THE END :-)

EDIT: I missed the few posts above this stating that over watering was what the problem was:crazy:

Back