• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

White, crystal-like stuff on underside of leaves?

yxVEo.jpg

Not my picture but this is exactly what it is.

This is on my Jalepeno plants which are in my greenhouse on the balcony. I already checked with a loupe, but I don't see aphids. It's a substance which looks like snow/crystal and cannot be wiped off I think.

Thanks!

Chilidude said:
Edema, enough said or was it aliens!
Yep, edema for sure. Either overwatering, too high of humidity, or not enough airflow. I deal with it every season while mine are indoors before I get them outside.

My indoor peppers have this as well.  I've given up on trying to get rid of the edema.  I only water when they wilt and I run a fan on them a couple hours every day, the only thing I haven't tried is a dehumidifier.  They're all growing really well and producing a lot of blooms so I guess it doesn't really affect them much.

So strange, the pots are always dry when I water, and I have a fan running 24/7 over my plants.

Interesting bit: The plant closest to the fan has it worst, especially the leaf directly in the stream of the fan.

flexy123 said:
So strange, the pots are always dry when I water, and I have a fan running 24/7 over my plants.

Interesting bit: The plant closest to the fan has it worst, especially the leaf directly in the stream of the fan.

I had 4 fans running on mine 24/7 and I didn't water until the plants were wilting and even then barely gave them any water... And they still got it. Unless you have perfect conditions indoors, ive pretty much come to terms with it being unavoidable.

I had a lot of trouble with this on my annuums this year, but my chinense were almost 100% unaffected. I'm definitely adding more fans next year. For what it's worth, all the afflicted annuums cleared up and bounced back once they went outside...

Since you already have airflow... you will need to decrease the humidity of your greenhouse. If the humidity is fine then it is most likely an issue with drainage or overwatering.

I have that every time I start my plants in doors, which leads me to believe it may be a mold of some kind due to poor air circulation and humidity. Or edema. However, it goes away and becomes a non-factor once the plants go outdoors.

Back