• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

White Flys

Also...  I think that those of us that live near water have it far worse.  They don't seem to be quite as bad once you get inland.  Out here in the coastal areas, we don't really have great soil tilth, and I think that whitefly seem to be naturally drawn to lush plants - which are out of place next to salt water, with hard packed phosphate substrate.
Would you prefer a juicy pepper plant, or a sinewy sea grass?  They also love to attach the terminal buds of cicads, and almost any type of palm.  Palms and cycads, of course, are just straws, that funnel moisture to the green end.

My White habs are black.  I put dish soap on them and scrub with a tooth brush.  The flys tap into the bottom of the leaves and they drip juice on the peppers.  Go figure.

Well I hate to say it but you guys are right, these white flies are ruthless. Most of the plants (including weeds) in the neighborhood are still loaded with them. I was hoping a good hard frost would take care of them but instead, much to my surprise, they have somehow found a way in through a gap in the windows of the grow room. I now have a second outbreak indoors in a completely different plant lot than before. Thankfully, the first lot is still clean. I’m honestly a bit nervous for spring. It looks like it’s going to be a constant battle once things go outdoors unless the winter knocks them out.

Sorry to hear that, dude.  You know that I know what you're going through. 
If there's any small consolation...  they do tend to be cyclical.  One year, they're pandemic, the next, they are almost non-existent.  Only problem is, you just never know how that cycle is gonna flow out.

Back