• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil White fungus like growth on soil

I'm still working of getting my seedlings potted up (Bhut jolokia and Trinidad scorpions). This morning I noticed a white fungus looking growth that looks similar to frost on the soil surface in the seed starter pellets. Is this something I need to fix or is beneficial fungus or what?

Thanks,
Blaine

If it looks like this....
100_0785.jpg

Too moist. Let them dry a little and it will be gone.

Oh ok awesome. Had me scared for a minute lol. It's my first year growing so I thought it was something that might ruin my plants. That makes sense though, I watered a bit more than usual yesterday because they seemed unusually dry. Thanks for the quick reply :)

Nick, is there a connection between mold and filtered water?

Peppakid you can run a fan at the plants and it slow the mold growth down and strengthen the stalks of the plants at the same time. AJ uses corn meal sprinkled on the mold to get rid of it. Said it sets up pretty hard.

Good luck.

Sounds like mold. After freaking out about it the first time I encountered it, I learned from some members here that you can simply just scrape it off too if it is bothering you. ;)

Nick, is there a connection between mold and filtered water?

Sometimes the minute amount of chlorine in regular tap water is enough to kill off the common white mould you find on top of potting soil, as I understand it. Same thing happened to my plants, and after watering with tap water instead it went away.

I've heard people ask about the white mould before, and every one of them has been watering with water that has been put through a purifier. :)

Gasificada, you say I can scrape it off "if it's bothering me". Is that to say that it's not harmful to the plant? I've got the soil drying out just a bit but still got a little way to go, not goin bone dry though. It seems not to be getting any better or worse at the moment.

Gasificada, you say I can scrape it off "if it's bothering me". Is that to say that it's not harmful to the plant? I've got the soil drying out just a bit but still got a little way to go, not goin bone dry though. It seems not to be getting any better or worse at the moment.
I just meant scrape it off in the meantime while you wait for your medium to dry and air a little. ;)

From what I observed, it didn't appear to affect my plants in the short-term. As for the long-term, I really don't know. It all disappeared for me once I potted up and got my plants outside into the air.

Well I haven't had a chance to pot up but I used tap water to water this morning and tonight when I got home from work, all the plants with the geowth were totally clean, all but one :)

Or spray with Hydrogen Peroxide and water 1 qt water to 1/4 cup of peroxide
1 gal water to 1 cup of peroxide
5 gal water to 5 cups of peroxide also works for sick plants.

Awesome, thanks HawaiiAl, I'll definitely keep that in mind if things start going south again. Also thought I'd add this, my seedlings seemed to grow incredibly fast since the white disappeared. I'd say a good 20% or so increase in size of leaf surface area, height, and a new set of leaves on each plant so I'm pretty excited to pot up tomorrow considering the weather is supposed to be 70F or so tomorrow and sunny down here in the DFW area

Back