• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

White Hab?

I'm sure it's still too early to tell....

IMG_0500_zpsb47a6bc4.jpg

This picture is a few days old, the pod is about half an inch long now, still has the general shape of the picture. It's supposedly a white hab, I thought all of the pods drooped. The buds had a droop to the them as well as when they flowered, but after pollination and losing the flower and the pod growing enough to be seen, its stem straightens out. Between my scotch bonnets and santa fe grandes, the white habs have the smallest buds. the first buds were 2 to branching site and eventually went up to 4 and 5. Small white flowers 5 petals, sometimes 6, kind of alight greenish tint at the tips of the petals. I've been told the plants look too big and have leaves bigger than white habs, but I think it has more to do with growing on my balcony as the plants growing at work are the same age and are significantly smaller with smaller leaves than those on my balcony. For a comparison, my Butch T at home has leaves bigger than my hand while the one at work has leaves maybe a quarter of that size, my scotch bonnet at home is over a foot tall with multiple branchings, the one at work is only about 8 inches and just started branching at the top.

Any ideas? Still possible my white habs are really white habs? If not, what could they possibly be without waiting for a fully grown and ripe pod?

As ive noted before in other posts about these, they were given to me, the buyer got them from a company that has a history of sending the wrong seeds, they're supposed to be Peruvian white habaneros.... The leaves are about the same size as those on my scotch bonnet but the buds and flowers are much smaller than the scotch bonnet.... Does bud size relate to pod size in any way? I've started some white Habs from a another vendor but they aren't more than a few true leaves right now, same leaf shape and size compared to the older plant when they were that young.... It's probably the weather, but the true white Habs are growing much slower than the older ones did....

I'll try to get pictures posted later.... One plant has shorter an rounder and a lighter green pods and the other has longer thin darker green pods, and neither looks anything like the scotch bonnet that is starting....

As ive noted before in other posts about these, they were given to me, the buyer got them from a company that has a history of sending the wrong seeds, they're supposed to be Peruvian white habaneros.... The leaves are about the same size as those on my scotch bonnet but the buds and flowers are much smaller than the scotch bonnet.... Does bud size relate to pod size in any way? I've started some white Habs from a another vendor but they aren't more than a few true leaves right now, same leaf shape and size compared to the older plant when they were that young.... It's probably the weather, but the true white Habs are growing much slower than the older ones did....

There's various varieties that ended up labelled White Habanero. I've seen plants that I identified as a Peruvian White (the up to 2 cm jelly bean shaped one) produce larger leaves prior to the first fork. Did the vendor actually describe their White Habanero in terms of pod size and shape?

I'll try to get pictures posted later.... One plant has shorter an rounder and a lighter green pods and the other has longer thin darker green pods, and neither looks anything like the scotch bonnet that is starting....

The two plants with different traits from the same seed packet?

Yes, same seed packet.... The pods are the only difference between the two plants.... I haven't looked at the vendor description of the seeds, but I do recall the company name being mentioned in the vendor list and alot of complaints about either seeds not germinating or getting orange habaneros instead of what was labelled.... I'm fine with either white or orange Habs.... Two make it even worse and to add to the complaints I've seen, out of the 30 seeds I only have 4 plants, I dd thin it out some, maybe 10 would have survived to this point but I don't need that many plants of the same type.... And the two grown in a different location are much smaller with smaller leaves.... They are budding but not flowering yet.... But I can't complain too much as I didn't buy them and my buddy doesn't have anything close to a bit f a green thumb so he couldn't have gotten anything from them.... And if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have starte growing peppers....

Yes, same seed packet.... The pods are the only difference between the two plants.... I haven't looked at the vendor description of the seeds, but I do recall the company name being mentioned in the vendor list and alot of complaints about either seeds not germinating or getting orange habaneros instead of what was labelled.... I'm fine with either white or orange Habs.... Two make it even worse and to add to the complaints I've seen, out of the 30 seeds I only have 4 plants, I dd thin it out some, maybe 10 would have survived to this point but I don't need that many plants of the same type.... And the two grown in a different location are much smaller with smaller leaves.... They are budding but not flowering yet.... But I can't complain too much as I didn't buy them and my buddy doesn't have anything close to a bit f a green thumb so he couldn't have gotten anything from them.... And if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have starte growing peppers....

Given the description of two plants with different traits coming from the same seed packet then I think the decision to start seeds from another vendor is a wise one.

I don't recall much of a difference between the Peruvian White I grew and the flower size of other C. Chinense varieties. The C. Chinense flowers though are distinct from the C. Annuum flowers that I have seen. I may be able to comment further once you get some photos up.

I started some Peruvian white Habs from pepperjoe a few weeks ago, I doubt they'll do much of anything before it starts cooling off, though. My only issue with these other plants is everyone at work thinks they're white habaneros, a few understand they might not be white habaneros.... If they're not at least an orange habanero, I don't have plans for them....

Plant 1
IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

Plant 2
IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Much different than the Peruvian white habaneros I grow. They have tiny flowers with tons of pedals (never counted them but the most I've seen on a pepper) and the leaves are not as broad. Perhaps they are another sort of white habanero.

Much different than the Peruvian white habaneros I grow. They have tiny flowers with tons of pedals (never counted them but the most I've seen on a pepper) and the leaves are not as broad. Perhaps they are another sort of white habanero.

Plant 2 looks alot like the white habanero pics I've seen on google, leaves between plant 1 and 2 look the same, one is taller only because I pinched the top of plant 2.... So plant 2 is bushier than plant 1.... I couldn't have mixed seeds or labels, these were already growing and transplanted by the time I ordered my own seeds.... Different pod characteristics but similar plant characteristics points to cross pollination, right? But then wouldn't a single plant have different pods on it?

The buds and flowers on these are much smaller than the ones on my scotch bonnet and Santa fe grande.... Flowers have 4,5 or 6 petals....

I don't know what a Peruvian white hab should look like other than having white pods, lol. There are different types of white habs. Mine are from pepperlover. The leaves look more like c. annuum leaves to me (I think it's an interspecific hybrid). I have two white habanero plants and their characteristics are the same. Both grow bushy and shorter in comparison to my other peppers. There was another type of white hab I'm aware of that has trouble germinating.

Here is a pic of one of mine (has some leaf curl problems but hasn't affected production):
8029768641_f9e93d577c_c.jpg

I don't know what a Peruvian white hab should look like other than having white pods, lol. There are different types of white habs. Mine are from pepperlover. The leaves look more like c. annuum leaves to me (I think it's an interspecific hybrid). I have two white habanero plants and their characteristics are the same. Both grow bushy and shorter in comparison to my other peppers. There was another type of white hab I'm aware of that has trouble germinating.

Here is a pic of one of mine (has some leaf curl problems but hasn't affected production):
8029768641_f9e93d577c_c.jpg

I found a photo where the leaves on my plant had a similar shape to that in your photo. I did notice the difference in the leaf shape though based on the other characteristics of the plant (growth habit, flower size and shape, flavour of the fruit, calyx size) I didn't see C. Annuum in it. Other varieties that didn't conform to the expect foliage profile were the C. Chinense Limón (Peru in origin) and C. Chinense Maraba (yellow jelly bean shaped pods).

Plant 2 looks alot like the white habanero pics I've seen on google, leaves between plant 1 and 2 look the same, one is taller only because I pinched the top of plant 2.... So plant 2 is bushier than plant 1.... I couldn't have mixed seeds or labels, these were already growing and transplanted by the time I ordered my own seeds.... Different pod characteristics but similar plant characteristics points to cross pollination, right? But then wouldn't a single plant have different pods on it?

The buds and flowers on these are much smaller than the ones on my scotch bonnet and Santa fe grande.... Flowers have 4,5 or 6 petals....

On review of a photo I now see that the flowers were smaller than some other C. Chinense varieties. They were definitely smaller than my SBTFM flowers. I've seen smaller flowers than those of the Peruvian White on a Yellow Fire plant and a Biquinho plant in the past.

i'm feeling a little ripped off, the white hab plant i purchased from a hydroponic store has turned out to be a gold bullet hab!
i sent the store an email to find out where they got the seeds so i don't make that mistake. the seeds i purchased from one of our favouite vendors had a zero germination rate, thus why i bought the plant(still have about 10 seeds, so maybe i can give it another whirl for 2013)..

I'll try to get some more pictures before packing them inside for the typhoon.... The longer dark green pods are starting to pinch in somewhat towards the calyx end and dimpling in on the other end.... The other plant doesn't have much of a change yet....

So I did an unripe taste test of these two.... Could be because they are different ages. The rounder one had some heat to it, not much of a taste yet.... About as hot as some of the store bought orange habaneros I've tastes before making sauce.... The darker longer ones isn't have much of a taste either, and I'm not sure if the little bit of heat I picked up on was from te pepper or from using the same knife after cutting the rounder one so it is possible there wasn't much heat at all.... Walls were the same thickness, about the same number of seeds, placenta was about the same....

The rounder one had some heat to it, not much of a taste yet.... About as hot as some of the store bought orange habaneros I've tastes before making sauce....

The nice thing about white habs that I have had is that they don't have much of that orange hab flavor that I really am struggling to embrace. Sometimes you just want heat and not a ton of pungent flavor. For the same reason, I am not a real fan of chocolate habs either.

Back