• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer White Habs very sensitive to fertilizer?

Last week I potted up some seedlings from the propagator into individual pots using a mix of Yates Premium potting mix and perlite. My yellow bhuts and red morougas are looking good, but the leaves on some of my white habs are curling up at the ends and look burnt on the tips - resembling fertilizer burn. I haven't added any fert to the mix, has anyone here used Yates potting mix? Is it a particularly fertilizer heavy mix? Are white habs particularly sensitive to fertilizer? The seedlings are indoors but receiving only natural light by a patio door.

Cheers
Ben

Ben,

I tried looking up the fert content's of your potting mix but apparently they dont list the specs on their website.
I use Miracle Gro potting mix which has up to 6 months time release ferts and I have never had any issues.
Since your other plants are doing fine its kinda strange only the white habs would be having a problem...

My white Habs only showed issues when using half strength miracle gro about every 3 days and a heavy spraying of too much Epsom salt in water....

But they seem to be fine with a teaspoon of Epsom salt in 750 ml of water and lightly sprayed every other day....

No they are not especially sensitive to fertilizer, and need a lot of it including calcium. Not sure what the issue is but fertilizer burn on leaves generally happens when fertilizer is directly applied to them or they are dragging the ground where the fertilizer is. When the leaves are not in direct contact with fertilizer but there is an excess in the soil they tend to go limp and drop off while still green.

Thanks for the replies.

The leaves haven't been in contact with the soil. Maybe it's lack of calcium intake then. I'll get some epsom salt today and see what happens... Or maybe the seeds just weren't that healthy as like I said my other varieties are looking very healthy. They all germinated within 5 days and seemed healthy until I potted them up though so I don't know. Here's some pics.

On this one it's only the seed leaves that are looking burnt/curling.
P8250003.jpg

This one is really struggling.
P8250004.jpg

The rest look like this with only a bit of damage to the tips of the seed leaves.
P8250007.jpg

Cheers
Ben

I'd guess too close to lights or too hot. However when writing about fertilizer I had larger plants in mind, they shouldn't need any at this stage.

Thanks for your replies. It's definately not too close to lights as they are only receiving natural sunlight from the window they are sat next to. I can't imagine they are getting too hot either as their only source of heat is a heat pump keeping the room around 70 degrees. I will try watering with a weak epsom salt mix and see how they go. Cheers.

I'm not any kind of expert, just started growing the middle of June.... Mine are much bigger than those pictured, I doubt they need any kind of epsom salt right now, especially as a few other varieties I had about the size of your seedlings were killed from a too strong epsom salt mixture....

I agree, but they are dying anyway so nothing to lose. I made a weak epsom salt mix but it doesn't seem to be helping them. Maybe the seeds just weren't that healthy. My bhuts and morougas are still in great shape tho :)

Thanks for the replies.

The leaves haven't been in contact with the soil. Maybe it's lack of calcium intake then. I'll get some epsom salt today and see what happens...

No! They do NOT need calcium yet unless the soil is completely void of calcium which I highly doubt.
Most potting soils have enough fertilizers in them to feed the plant for a few months.
That "leaf" that is affected is the cotyledon not a true leaf.
Leave it alone and watch it grow. People kill their plants with love. Let them do what God programmed them to do. ;)

Back