• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health White spots on pod

I was wonderig if any one knows what this is. It has been showing up on a bunch of my pods and only the pods of plands in one area of my garden. I have also noticed that most of my bhut jolokias that have these white spot have very thin and almost mushy flesh to them. Any help is appreciated.

2011-08-06_18-53-04_314.jpg

if you have been watering frequently it might be too much overhead watering

the heat has been doing alot of damage this year also

just a guess thanks your friend Joe

I was also thinking sun burn but i just wanted to make sure. I don't want to be eating something that is diseased or bacteria ridden.

Looks like a sun dress and a few packs of bread in the corner?

What the heck is this about? This has got to be one of the dumbest responses to a question I've ever seen.

I've had the same issue on a few pods myself. For some reason there is a weak spot on the pepper that direct sunlight makes worse. I've often thought it could be a spot on the pepper that I've scratched or damaged somehow when I remove the stuck on flowers when the pepper is first developing. Like I've scratched the waxy coating off.

Do you remove the stuck on flowers?

I had a look in my chilie book and it looks very much like it could be sun scald, or it could be a disease such as anthracnose.

One easy way to check is to see if the white spots are oriented to the sun in your garden (specifically the afternoon sun). If the white spots are on the shady side of the pod then it is unlikely to be caused by the sun. (Fungus can also grow on the sunburnt pod once its damaged). You can put up shadecloth or if they are in pots move them to a partly shaded area, or move another pot plant in to shade them.

or

Fungal infections tend to grow in humid conditions. If the problem only happens in one area of your garden check if this area is always wet and humid. You may need to cut back on the watering. Even then the plants may be diseased and a lost cause. There are fungacides you can use, I try to avoid using any chemcials on things I will be eating.

Whatever the cause I would definitely seal the affected pods in a plastic bag and bin them. Don't let any rot on the ground and don't put them in compost. As a general rule if a plant continues to produce sick pods then you should isolate it as much as possible as a first measure.

Back