• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

White strawberry and peach ghost jam

My white strawberry plants are producing tons of fruit this year so I thought I would try making a spicy jam. The strawberries are very sweet and have a taste something between a strawberry and a pineapple. The skin is white although some berries have a pink blush, the insides are completely white in all berries. 

For a test run I used 200g white strawberries and 200g sugar/pectin and 1 small dry peach ghost pepper that I ground down. I didn't want the heat to over power the delicious taste if the jam.

It tastes amazing!!  First you get the sweet strawberry/pineapple jam taste quickly followed by a warm sensation in the mouth and throat.   It's too spicy for anyone else in my family to eat, so I will have to make some more and enjoy it by myself

LtlMvZ6.jpg
aXwzaRs.jpg
Ksfwiwd.jpg

This sounds good.  We made some ghost jelly with no additional fruit added and only used 2 ghost peppers to make 32oz.  I use it on breakfast toast but my wife has decided it's too hot for her.  
Let us know how your next batch turns out.

Swinglish said:
First you get the sweet strawberry/pineapple jam taste quickly followed by a warm sensation in the mouth and throat.   It's too spicy for anyone else in my family to eat, so I will have to make some more and enjoy it by myself

Run into this regularly - as I'm sure many here do - where I think "it has a nice little tingle/warmth to it" and family/friends are like  :mouthonfire:

I grew various alpine strawberry varieties from seed one year, but never got enough production processed at one time to do anything much with them.  The jam looks great!  Glad it worked out for you.  Makes me tempted to try again.

So yes, JAM ON Swingman!

CaneDog said:
Run into this regularly - as I'm sure many here do - where I think "it has a nice little tingle/warmth to it" and family/friends are like  :mouthonfire:

I grew various alpine strawberry varieties from seed one year, but never got enough production processed at one time to do anything much with them.  The jam looks great!  Glad it worked out for you.  Makes me tempted to try again.

So yes, JAM ON Swingman!

Alpine strawberries grow everywhere here in the wild, I have made jam a few times with them however the unique taste is mostly lost and the jam tastes more like strawberry jam. The best way to really appreciate them in jam is to have them in another jam, mix them in hole and be careful not to break them. you then get beautiful alpine strawberry flavor pops on your taste buds as your eating the jam.  

They have just come into season here so I picked a few yesterday and made a new batch of white strawberry and peach ghost jam and now added alpine strawberries to the mix which takes this already heavenly jam to a whole new level.  

xT8CcoW.jpg

JsyD8Ny.jpg

K09JO2z.jpg

ZrREG8M.jpg

KbTSYau.jpg

jU2IIhL.jpg

Wild blueberries have also just come into season and wild raspberries will be coming into season very soon so I will see if I can make anything that can top the white strawberry, alpine strawberry and peach ghost jam. I dont think anything will beat it (although a spicy wild raspberry might come close) but im going to have alot of fun finding out......

I popped into the forest on the way home today and came back with a nice haul.  Wild cherries, big fat juicy sweet cherries, wild raspberries, redcurrents, blackcurrents and a shit load of wild blueberries. I will pick some alpine strawberries tomorrow then make a new jam, spicy forest fruits. I have a good feeling about this
VMARXC0.jpg

Right on!  I'm going to follow my heritage and move to Sweden.  Very nice haul indeed.

Thanks for the replies, the weather has been terrible for growing chilis and most other things in my garden, but on the other hand its been perfect for the fruit and mushrooms that grow in the wild here.
I have only lived here for 5 years and this is by far the best I have seen. I timed myself picking blueberries, I got 1 liter in 4 minutes.
Its nice that everything is free, super tasty and you can't get more organic then something that grows in the wild in the middle of the forest.
There is another Berry I really want to add to my spicy jam and also make a standalone spicy jam with but it only grows in the North, its called a Hjortron (cloudberry). They are difficult to find and highly prizes. My girlfriends parents are in the North now and will see if they can find any for me.

If anyone wants to try some of the spicy jam maybe we can sort something out, it will probably be a lot easier posting it if you are in Europe. I'm not sure about the rules for posting homemade food items out of the eu?

Back