• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Whiteflies

I think I'm going to buy some bug spray or something I don't want to risk it. Unless I can buy some other cheap bug to eat those guys

i used a homade spray i found online somewhere on a tomato plant last season. It did take care of the bugs but it kinda did a number on the plant so i guess i don't recommend. I think it was a farmers almanac related web hit but it had a lot of isopropyl in it.

Good luck

Add one Tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial types) to a cup of vegetable oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well. DON'T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED! Mix 1+1/2 teaspoons of this 'master solution' into a cup of water, shake well and spray on those infested leaf undersides.

TO MIX FROM SCRATCH FOR A ONE GALLON PUMP SPRAYER:

1+1/2 teaspoons liquid dish soap
5+1/2 Tablespoons oil
3 Quarts (12 cups) water

I hate over wintering plants because of bugs.  I found it easier to start over this year then battle aphids all winter like last year.  Plus i do not recommend bringing in outside plants, like from a garden store.  Hope you can find a way to kill those white flys.  

They are all outside in my greenhouse I don't see damage but I am seeing an increase in numbers so I want to kill them I'm thinking green lacewings anyone use these? Good cheap reliable source?

Whiteflies are one of the worst problems to have. The only way to get rid of them is to be persistent. I ended up resorting to chemical bombing (Pyrethrin) in order to save some of my most highly valued plants. The only way to handle the situation is to start spraying with Neem, limonene, and dish soap on a daily basis. Failing to be persistent will result in the whiteflies colonizing everything. 

Also, just when you think you have them all, keep spraying for another 2 weeks to a month. I promise you that they will find somewhere to hide and reproduce.

I second other people's opinions about having to cull plants that are too heavily colonized as well.

Ive been controlling them for years,  My spray is this:

1 Gallon of water

1 Tablespoon of Neem Oil

1Tablesoon of Dog Tick and Flea Shampoo

mix well and spray the undersides of every leaf until you saturate ALL the white powdery excrete around the nymphs. treat every 3 days until you regain control of the situation. If there is any Ficus trees around and or neighbors with the same problem you will never totally eradicate them,  all you can do is control em....

Good Luck   

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Add one Tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial types) to a cup of vegetable oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well. DON'T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED! Mix 1+1/2 teaspoons of this 'master solution' into a cup of water, shake well and spray on those infested leaf undersides.

TO MIX FROM SCRATCH FOR A ONE GALLON PUMP SPRAYER:

1+1/2 teaspoons liquid dish soap
5+1/2 Tablespoons oil
3 Quarts (12 cups) water

Sounds very similar to what I use to kill mites and aphids. 

Note it is only a contact killer, you have to spray them to kill them. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43217-jeff-hs-2014-glog-family-photos/?p=919424

I sprayed my 5 overwinters with Bonide once then waited 3 days and sprayed again and took inside. Not one bug and they are doing great. I had slight aphid issue over summer but they were pretty clean to start with. Good product i feel either way.

I have 3 plants that are getting owned by whiteflies. Every 3 days I go out and check under the leaves to see white under most of the leaves. I just brush most of the white off of the leaves and shake the plant pretty good. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Back