Who ate the top of my plants?

Something has eaten my plants overnight. Leaves and stems, mostly from the top.
They've targeted the sweet peppers (Orange Horizon, Marconi), and the Bhut Jolokias - all young plants.

I thought it might have been rabbits, but the plants are all raised off the ground on a table.
I've got Tabasco, Jalapeno and tomato plants on the same table, and they haven't been touched.
Any ideas?

4h7df0I.jpg

roBRICj.jpg

FMgRJQe.jpg

uvRj9u4.jpg

I'm sorry.. I was hungry..
But seriously. A rabbit may eat the sweet peppers, but I don't think any mammals would be eating a superhot. Except humans of course

Check if you can se some dookie on or around the plant. I could be a hornworm otherwise I'd say another mamal like a kangaroo or something.

-Walt

No poo around the plants (would be easy to spot, the ground is gravel).
I've just been out at night and done a search for hornworms, or anything else - and there's nothing visible.

I wonder if it could have been birds? We've had lots of cokatoos and parrots around the last couple of weeks, and they've been eating everything.
They could have hit at dawn before I woke up.

We have kangaroos everywhere, but they only seem to eat the grass. I've never had them touch any of my vegies.

It could be birds. One of my chickens like to eat plants. I let them forage through my garden and started rotating them until I found the culprit.

Heh - Chickens are garbage disposals - they'll eat anything.

However, I don't think it was birds - you'd see more jagged edges from their beaks on the parts of the leaves that are only partially eaten. Hornworm or some larger mammal, because of the more smooth, rounder edges of the leaves. A small mammal would leave more tooth marks.

Could be armyworms also. They are mainly black and can hide on top of your soil. I've come across them by accident since they can look like the twigs in your soil mixture.

Back