who has bought fresh pods by mail in summer?

i am curious to know the experience had by those of you who have purchased fresh pods by usps priority mail in the summer. i have held off on selling pods this way during high heat months because i'm afraid they won't arrive in good shape but it seems plenty of others are doing it...comments?

I've sold 6 (I think) small FRB's so far... I had to replace a few pods, but for the most part, I haven't had many complaints.

i had received some fresh pods yesterday, most were still good... nothing worth complaining about id still eat em!

i am curious to know the experience had by those of you who have purchased fresh pods by usps priority mail in the summer. i have held off on selling pods this way during high heat months because i'm afraid they won't arrive in good shape but it seems plenty of others are doing it...comments?
you can send me a couple free fresh pods just to test to see how they arrive here in cali :lol:

Ever put almost ripe pods in a brown paper bag to help with ripening? Same idea.

Pick 2 or 3 days before full ripe/normal picking time. Pack and ship. They will finish in the mail. The stores do it that way but are picking a week or more early because of long travel time and shelf time. Sent many off last year and was told they all were opened to nice and ripe.

i have gotten several diffrent orders in the mail last year. the only time i had a problem was when some one sent them wraped in a plastic sack in a flat rate box. think about when you are going to mail them so they dont sit over the weekend or over a holiday. mondays are good days to ship.

Got a box from across the country in June. All were perfect. If your seller knows what he/she is doing, it should be no problem.
Picked slightly early---before full ripe--and a nice full box of peppers not in a bag or wrap, if the postal paople don't abust the box, it should be fine.

Just got some on the 29th for the most part I had no problem a couple starting to show signs but yeh its all on the supplier and when they pick,ship,ect.

I'm not worried brother :) just wanted that piece of information out there as well.

They do ripen FAST in the boxes. Delays are tough.

i had a box come in from texas that was delayed a day on the road to NC. The pods were in a sealed plastic bag and a few of them had gone bad/soft. The rest needed to be used immediately. I think everything should be good as long as there are no hold ups on the way to the destination. I wish i could say something to USPS about it but i am sure it would be a lot of effort for nothing in return.

I think the bag is a major factor cause my order from florida/phoenix got held up for 2days and I had no major issues?

yeah sealing in a plastic bag will hold in the gas released during ripening, thereby accelerating the process. Right in the box they go when I ship, with a little paper to cushion.

I just got a box from Baker's Peppers, Fl to So Cal. Shipped Monday and arrived today. They look to be in pretty decent shape.

On a different note, I've never tried a super-hot before. I ordered brain strains. I used a fork to hold down one pepper to cut a little sliver off the side. Before tasting the pepper, I decided to be safe and taste the fork first. HOLY S**T! I've got some tolerance to build up before trying to eat these!

Nice!

EDIT: Just tried a sliver of one of these. Tasty, slow building heat. Searing. Nice!

Just take half right down the middle from top to bottom youll be suprised they build fast the peak is quite harsh but nothing like the dreded build of a naga do it do it do it lol n joy SMITTY

Make sure you buy from someone aware they can't just drop them in a USPS metal box so they sit there and bake in it like an oven. Experienced sellers should be aware of the issue but sometimes people don't realize and change up their routine without thinking about how hot a metal box can get in the summer.

Just take half right down the middle from top to bottom youll be suprised they build fast the peak is quite harsh but nothing like the dreded build of a naga do it do it do it lol n joy SMITTY

You mean the half with all the seeds, right? Hahaha!

Seriously, when I said the explitive that I did, it wasn't that the fork was too hot. It was that I wasn't expecting THAT much heat from a fork that just held down the pepper. Tasting the fork was almost like eating a whole jalepeno! These days, I'm used to bits of habanero from the grocery store. Superhots seem to be a whole different dimension.

Sorry for the thread-jack. Please proceed. :)

Agreed on the metal box! Those things are not neccesarily water proof either.... I almost never use the, for anything, especially for perishable items.

If the fork was only as hot as a jalapeño, something is wrong ;)

A brains train should make your urine burn.

Back