• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Who lied to me?! :( Scoville not making any sense!

Walchit said:
Lets get things straight...

I didnt lose out on anything.

You seem like a real cock sucker

And I don't give a rats ass whats in that bunk sauce.

You not answering just proves that your full of shit.

Your getting no respect over here either. Beat it!

Andy that's crossed the line and you're better than that.  We all have bad days, so I'm going to chalk it up to that and suggest we move on.  I prefer not to put on the mod uniform ya know?

Remember:  We cannot control the actions of others, but we CAN control how we react to them.  :)

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
and with this response you admit to being a forum troll
and you just  shot your load. i hope you thoroughly enjoyed it. 
lame.gif

:P  :dance:  :hi:

Hotsaucer said:
Hey everyone!

So I've got other things I want to talk to ya'll about too but one thing is now really stuck in the back of my mind and I can't shake it.

According to sources Tabasco sauce is supposed to be between 2000-5000 scoville. This would suggest about a 10% pepper content.
Now Jalapenos are supposed to be between 500- at most 5000.
Scoville testing is usually performed on dried peppers with all the water removed. When done fresh they score significantly lower. Around 1/8th to 1/10th of the dried rating. Just because a Tabasco pepper is rated at 2,000 to 5,000 does not mean it’s really going to test that high. The whole system is screwed up really. For example an extreme heat sauce using a high percentage of reapers will actually test around 130,000 SHU.

A reaper is actually around 220,000 SHU fresh.

The only example I can give is with alcohol. If you take a shot of 100proof and put it into a mixed drink, it’s going to have a lower alcohol percentage than the same shot without the water/ juice. It’s still the same amount of alcohol, only one is diluted. Same thing with peppers. Remove the water and get the highest results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And 25% jalapeño is just what it suggests. 25% of the total sauce is peppers. They do the same thing on bottles of fruit juice.

Had a long post, hate working on the tablet, dinnt post....

Basically, Shu is ppm
Hplc tests with high accuracy
Hplc testing is used for anything with pungency for garlic, paprika, capsaicin, cinnamon...
Lots of product makes inaccurately list their product as the SHU of the single hot pepper used in the product.

gonna try again~~~

end of the post was talking about makers saying their product is 2,2mil SHUm because it USES scorpion peppers or whatever...

while the original peppers may be 2.2mil SHU....once it is mixed with other ingredients, it is diluted to the PPM as what JeffC~ talked about. 

Hi there,

I am NOT in love with the Scoville scale.  I've been pursuing an alternative idea for a while now, but need a community like this to help make it a reality - it's beyond me (I've tried).  Looks like there's a lot of knowledge here beyond what I have.  I think we need a small commercial device, and a new scale, to make better sense of the spicy world.

Check out the link further below if interested.  I'd appreciate any comments.  Or, take the idea, built upon it, and make it happen.  I think more consistency in measurement and application will be good for all of us :).  I'd be a customer.

-Travis

~~~

https://hubpages.com/food/Measuring-Spiciness-a-Call-for-Change

If scovile were rated per pod, instead of by sample, it would eliminate the discrepancy between fresh and dried. They would test exactly the same. It would also give higher rating to larger pods because it’s all about the total capsacin in the pod. With the way testing is currently conducted, 2 pods could test exactly the same even if one pod is double the size, but it won’t translate to a higher score. Anyone eating it will tell you it definitely makes a difference.

Back