dehydrators Who runs their dehydrator outside?

Yeah, I do mine in the garage also... wife doesn't appreciate it when I do it in the house. I speed it up by cutting each pepper in half, laying the open side up (oils don't drip out then)I can take them off in less than 24hrs then... when I did them whole it took around 3 days! (still learning) My chocolate scorpions outright drip when I cut them open.... ohhhhhh yeaaaahh!!

The trial run was a success. Gonna make some garlic naga salt for the farmers markets and upcoming garlic festival.

I am gonna load up all 6 tray I have tomorrow morning. The wife is getting pissed at all the pods in the freezer. What she doesn't realize is what I have left in the garden is going to double or triple what's I already in there!

I guess Im the only one running mine in my kitchen...

But I don't do anything hotter than habs so that explains why I have no problems I guess.

I definitely notice a difference in time between my windows closed with a/c on (dry) or windows open (humid).

Glad it went well for you!

I got banished to outside since the last time I dried Bhut Jolokias. I kinda chuckled when my wife and children (adults) complained but when my grandbabies (6, 5, and 3) started coughing and rubbing their eyes I had no choice. I personally love the smell of drying peppers in the morning but now I gotta go outside in the carport to enjoy it.

I run mine in my garage. I don't think I would if it was 90 percent humidity though.... I'm am a rookie but it's working for me right now. Working on the 3rd batch, Morugas, brains, and peach ghosts.

I use the garage in all seasons here in Michigan. It may take longer, but no big deal, as it's a slow process anyways. It still makes me cough every once in awhile when I open the garage door! As a tip...don't crush dried pods in the garage with a mortar a pestle if the air is dry and freezing....somehow that will kill your face and make you sneeze for a long bit. You should see me now....I wrap a scarf around my nose/mouth to filter out the tiny particles that invade! 

When I lived in NH, it was no bid deal to do it out on the deck. It only gets humid in the summer and even then, it is less than many other places. Living in NC now, I still run the nesco out on the deck but it takes a bit longer than I'm used to due to humidity. Not really a big deal, though!

Back