• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Who uses organic fertilizers and what do you use?

I have been using Alaskan Fish Emulsion, Alaskan Mor Bloom, alfalfa meal, epsom salts, bunny poop, crushed egg shells, banana peels, coffee grounds and compost. Has worked well for years. Please post your ammendments.

I have been using Alaskan Fish Emulsion, Alaskan Mor Bloom, alfalfa meal, epsom salts, bunny poop, crushed egg shells, banana peels, coffee grounds and compost. Has worked well for years. Please post your ammendments.

You about covered it; I use the highlighted plus cow manure. I make my own calcium phosphate from the crushed eggshells.

Edit: I should add that I'm not into the heavy use of "fertilizers"; the soil I use is composted and rich in essential micro-organisms so in 4 months I've applied calcium phosphate twice and a micro-nute twice. And so far I've only used cow manure in the garden; not my potted plants. Cheers.

This year, I replaced the long list of all the usual fertilizer suspects with:
-Tomato Tone
-Neptune's fish & seaweed.

Basically, I alternate their use, in my once-per-three-week fertilizations.

Everything seemed to grow pretty well this year - the plants are tall, with loads of pods. I'm thinking this simple, streamlined approach is actuall pretty effective.

fish emulsion, bat guano, compost, vermicast, calcium phosphate harvested from plants (by Gil Carandang), used coffee grounds.... basically almost anything i can get my hands on. lol.

Kitchen compost(including eggshells/seafood shells, coffee grounds), leaf compost, vermicompost, compost tea, manure, wood ash, fish emulsion, bone meal, blood meal, kelp, grass cuttings, green manure crops

I use compost, EWC, Tomato-Tone, molasses and bone meal. I'm moving more in that direction, but I'm also getting better with the inorganic stuff. Some of my best plants only received low doses of water soluble synthetic ferts. I'm building a raised bed today and I think I'll be using a lot of horse manure and straw to line the bottom.

I only use Tomato Tone currently, but will start using some of the other amendments next year. This is my first year organic and I haven't researched the various amendments very well.

i OD my plants on Scotts Granulated non-organic plant food along with a bit of epsom salt waterings, and it works amazingly well. If you're not set on organic, definitely consider that. Just wanted to mention it since I'm getting such great results off of it.

I use a variety of products. I like the Espoma products. Have garden-tone and tomato-tone. I
also use a little bit of Black Cow Composted Manure, Neptunes Fish and Seaweed Emulsion, bonemeal,
and epsom salt. For my containers I mix all these products into my potting mix, except for the
emulsion, and I add some extra vermiculite to lighten the mix further.

Back