• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Whoa, holy hell... here come the sons of bitches. With a vengeance.

Well, earlier I brought all the plants outside for a better examination in the weakening sunlight. I noticed on all the plants, there were a couple "problem" branches and/or leaves and the occasional aphid or two at random locations on the plant, so I sprayed each plant that I want to keep with the insecticidal soap as completely as I could. Tried to squeeze the bugs too to make sure they're dead, or at least wipe them off the plant (it can be pretty hard to do with their tiny size). The plants weren't absolutely horrible though... except my second look at the habanero plant. Yikes! Those things are having a field day on there! Entire stems have a bumpy look because they're covered with a layer of the little bastards. Yep, I'm definitely not going to try to rescue that plant... from now on it'll be outside on the porch and the next garbage day it's going to the curb. It was a good, strong plant, produced tons of peppers, but I'll be damned if I try to annihilate an army of aphids of that size! The plant fell off the porch due to the wind in the summer and landed in the grass where it stayed until I later found it there, I wonder if that incident is what caused such an outburst of the little sap-suckers.

By the way, on the previously-mentioned subject of growing from seed--I did later find out that, in fact, the light bulb I was using sucked. It was a compact fluorescent in the red spectrum and not really that bright. I had that light right down to the plants and they just grew tall and spindly. Had no idea of its specifications, but I figured it would be "good enough". I only know it was in the red spectrum because, well, after firing up the new light bulb I bought specifically to replace it for future growing attempts I noticed just how much bluer/whiter and more natural all the objects in the room looked (not to mention the bright whitish color of the bulb itself vs. an orangish hue of the old one). So I now do have a light of proper strength and color temperature, but not the other tools and equipment necessary. Plus, it's a CFL, so I doubt it would take the plants very far before needing larger lights. If I try growing anything this year, I'm sure it won't be serious, maybe a couple seedlings to see if my luck is any better and learn some things for a time in the future that I might consider seriously attempting to grow from seed. I doubt that I'd be able to keep a plant alive and healthy up until late spring when it is safe to take it outside. I want to make sure I have a decent light setup and all proper materials before attempting seeds again.

to cut down on lighting costs, lots of reflective surfaces will be very cost effective. mirrors, films, whatever you can get your hands on that's cheap. heck i use aluminum foil for a reflective surface. lol. i'm cheap that way.

White painted surfaces reflect lots of light too. If you are going to toss the infested plant you should cover it with a plastic bag, seal it best you can and put it in the sun. The little bastards will cook, and you don't want to give them time to escape into your environment. Ants store the eggs in their nests and keep them until they find a suitable plant. They farm them out on the plant and drink the honeydew that comes out of the aphid asses !!! Nature is just filthy isn't it.
So you shouldn't use the same soil from the pot the infected plant was in. If they were in a garden bed its a good bet the ants will bring the aphids out next time.

I always reuse my soils, you can sterilize the soil by putting it into the oven and bake off at 180F for 30 minutes or microwave 5 minutes on high(in a bag). This will kill off any aphids and future offspring, that way, next year you get the fresh Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie of aphids and not the seventh generation, inbred, banjo playing aphid. I'm just being silly now - let me go find something serious to do and come back later(I am making my horseradish sauce today and am mentally preparing myself for the task).

franzb69: I've messed around with that idea (reflection) last year with aluminum, and I may eventually use it again on a larger scale, but unfortunately I still don't think I can get very far with just one good compact fluorescent. The problem will be mounting the mirrors so they don't move, and preventing the aluminum from moving around (so flimsy...). I guess for the aluminum it could be taped on cardboard, which can be picked up for free at Wal-Mart at night when workers are stocking the shelves in the form of the boxes their products come in (which Wal-Mart doesn't care about anyway, they'll just compress and recycle them anyway).

megamoo: Oh, I definitely won't be using the same soil next year. It's nasty--you can see aphids' skins all over its surface. I don't want to know just how many other nasty things are in it. The whole plant including root ball is going in the trash, and the pot getting a good cleaning for next year. Even though really, I found that it's not big enough, so I'll need to get new pots eventually. I'll pass on Burning Colon's suggestion of cooking dirt, too... some things just aren't meant to be put in the oven/microwave... eww...

As it is right now, the two habs are basically out there alone, I took off the few ripening peppers I noticed, and I'm just waiting for garbage day right now. I wish it would come sooner because I want to put the other plants out on nicer days and I just don't trust them. Then again, with the extra light and lower temps outside, who knows--maybe it would be good after all--more light for the plant, lower temps to possibly slow the reproduction of the aphids. But... that didn't stop them so far from building up in large numbers. And by now, it's probably too late to cover the plant to kill the aphids, many have probably already escaped (haven't thought of that, I was planning to rely on the temperatures dropping lower and lower--I'll keep that in mind for the future, so thanks for the suggestion).

franzb69: I've messed around with that idea (reflection) last year with aluminum, and I may eventually use it again on a larger scale, but unfortunately I still don't think I can get very far with just one good compact fluorescent. The problem will be mounting the mirrors so they don't move, and preventing the aluminum from moving around (so flimsy...). I guess for the aluminum it could be taped on cardboard, which can be picked up for free at Wal-Mart at night when workers are stocking the shelves in the form of the boxes their products come in (which Wal-Mart doesn't care about anyway, they'll just compress and recycle them anyway).

what i've done with aluminum foil is i taped them on to some spare wood i had lying around and put it around the top and sides of my lighting fixture so it reflects back down and sideways. i use 2 48" flourescent lights for raising seedlings.

I overwintered plants last year. I won't do that again. Way too many aphid problems. Mom tried to bring in a mandavilla vine to overwinter, but it's already infested as well. There's so many aphid skeletons on it it looks like it's frosted. I won't spray pesticides in the house, not really a fan of spraying Safer's soap in the house either. I can't get my hands on ladybugs at this point either so I'm starting each plant from seed once again.

For the lights, I use 48" fluros (Sun Stick by Phillips) and have encased the shelving unit with white semi-gloss cardboard sheets. My g/f works for a print shop and snagged me a bunch. I put white mactac down on the boards to reflect the light back up. I thought about mirrors, but from what I've read they aren't as good as plain white paint.

I overwintered plants last year. I won't do that again. Way too many aphid problems. Mom tried to bring in a mandavilla vine to overwinter, but it's already infested as well. There's so many aphid skeletons on it it looks like it's frosted. I won't spray pesticides in the house, not really a fan of spraying Safer's soap in the house either. I can't get my hands on ladybugs at this point either so I'm starting each plant from seed once again.
If you had a severe aphid outbreak in the house with mature plants, wouldn't that just increase the chance of them absolutely demolishing any seedlings in no time flat? Sounds like hell you went through. Good luck.

Meanwhile, in my case I hope all those SOBs remain on those habs outside and I see no major infestations during the plants' time in the house... but there's a lot of time left and I get the feeling that it's just bound to happen sooner or later. It hasn't really been that long since I brought them all in, and saw a few patches of them... surely not starting off too great.

Back