food Whoop Ass Chili Mix

Sometime ago, someone gave me a can of Whoop Ass Chili Mix from www.whoopinass.com and I have finally gotten around to trying it. The can contains all ingredients needed to make a bowl of red accept for the ground meat and tomatoes. The listed ingredients are: Precooked Red Beans, Chili Packet: Chili Powder, Chopped Onion, Minced Garlic & Spices. Mesa Packet: Mesa Flour. Pepper Packet: Ground Habanero Pepper.

Now the can makes this stuff sound HOT, by giving a heat scale on the side and saying how much of the spice packet to add depending on how spicy you want it. Well, being a true Chili-head, I added all of the spices into the mix and cooked it up as directed. This is truly a 20 minute chili and when I tasted it, I was a bit disappointed because there was little to no heat...So, time to open my own spice cabinet :lol: I ended up adding a couple of pinches of Jolokia Powder, Serrano Powder and JalapeƱo Powder. NOW, it has some kick and tastes much better. The general flavor is pleasant and if you doctor it, it is a nice bowl of chili. Although, it will never replace chili made the traditional way, but will work if you are pressed for time.

DSCF3605.jpg

DSCF3606.jpg

Yeah, kind of looks soupy. Nice to have all those powders isn't it PF. I am still using the ones you sent me. Thanks again.

Well, the instructions said to add 3 cups of water, then you add the package of Mesa Flour which thickens it up some more. I ended up adding 2 additional cups of water just because I like my chili a little bit more liquid. I think I could have gone with 1 extra cup though.

JayT, I'm glad to hear that your still enjoying the powders and yes, it is nice to have a full stock in them.

Pepperfreak said:
Well, the instructions said to add 3 cups of water, then you add the package of Mesa Flour which thickens it up some more. I ended up adding 2 additional cups of water just because I like my chili a little bit more liquid.

I believe that's why it wasn't spicy enough.

I actually tried it before deviating from the directions and it still wasn't spicy enough. I think the enclosed Hab Powder was barely 1/2 teaspoon. It probably is spicy enough for a non chili-head.

that's so often the trouble with pre-prepared or commercial chilli products, they don't cater for the true chilliheads so the heat levels are mostly tame.looks good though!

I have been going nuts lately with all things pepper. I don't know why, but I have been on a roll. I am sure my tolerance is WAY up right now compared to normal. I sometimes have a hard time cooking food for normal people. Everytime I try those prepared chilis, I end up spending so much energy and stuff doctoring it up that I might as well just make my own. Too bad they don't sell a canned chili for chileheads! Maybe someday AJ will can and sell his Red.

Edit: Man I hate making posts like that. I sound like a noob trying to impress everyone. Excuse me while I go eat 25 nagas whole! :lol:

I don't know Paul, I think that it is just something that 'normal' people would find hot. I have never had any of my powders loose their umph. They still have a heck of a bite even after a year.

JayT, I know what you are saying. It's like going to Taco Bell with a bunch of friends who think the Fire sauce is hot and you end up pilling it on just so you can taste something....:lol: Heck, I have one friend that thinks Black Pepper is hot and breaks into a sweet whenever he even smells it.

2 basic reasons the store bought stuff you got was lame PF. First is that the company is in Arizona, and second, the company is in Arizona. New Mexico east to Mississippi is the chili corridor and guess what's right in the middle of it.....TEXAS!!

PF - I'm gonna have to steal something from TB & give ya a "hot,blue, & rightous" for the chili cuz of the venison & beans :drooling:

I like to use "carroll shelbys" chili mixture for starter, then I add more chili powder & other spices plus PLENTY of my own chile powder or dried pods (for real heat for a chilehead)

My fav is deer burgundy with baby portobello (crimini) mushrooms, onions, and bacon served over egg noodles. It's a little bowl of heaven...

YUM!

Back