• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who's got the oldest pepper plant!?

I only realized this year that peppers are perennials. In my neck of the woods I never came across anyone who over wintered, and quite frankly, I'm the only individual I know (personally) who's doing it. Of course, now I need to know who's got plants that have been kickin butt and takin names longer than the family truckster. Show off your years of hard work, guys and gals!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My oldest is a three year old yellow moruga. I'm sure there are plenty older than that here.

I've got a three year old 7-Pot in the ground. I never really planned on keeping it, but it just never died...I guess I have to keep going now. Eventually we'll get a cold enough winter to kill it.

The neighbour of my parents still has their plant that they have had for at least 15 years. Don't know what type but its a Chinese variety. Still gets a few pods a year too.

Anyone have pictures? I'm really curious to see what varieties stand out as the strongest survivors. Looks like we have 3 chinense and a pubescens.

So there's another chinense, albeit a cross with frutescens. All plants have fairly small pods. In my head I figured I'd see alot of people keeping the bigger heartier annuum's, like bells and wax peppers, alive longer. I'd love to see someone with a decade old tree going in the front yard!

a tabassco i over wintered, hope to get more seasons from him
2uyja8g.jpg

Looks to be about 75-80 years old with those sunglasses! Did you bring it inside on its rascal scooter?

I guess another wrinkle is location. If you've got the climate to keep em growing outside year long, how are you doing it? Are they in the ground, or potted up? Do you prune? Nutes? This concept is intriguing to me. I know if I lived in a climate the allowed, I would be the guy with pepper plants that looked like Apple trees. I'm also curious if they can get to a hearty enough state to leave them outdoors in less desirable climates, and still keep them alive through winter.

I'm sure someone living in San Diego could have plants over 10 years old. The climate there allows plants to be outside year round. Thanksgiving looks like it will be in the lower 70's and mid 50's at night. That's about as cold as it gets there.

Average Temperatures for San Diego

Month Low High
Jan 49.7°F 65.8°F
Feb 51.5°F 66.3°F
Mar 53.6°F 66.3°F
Apr 56.4°F 68.7°F

Back