• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Why are my seedlings doing this?

Here are a couple of seedlings I've started:

Caribbean Red Hab
caribbeanredhab.jpg

Thai Burapa
thaiburapa.jpg

Anyone have any ideas why the leaves might be curling like that?

Ryan

How much fertilizer is in the mix? A small amount like .08-.12-.08 isn't going to be a problem. How close do you have your lights?

That's exactly how much fertilizer is in the mix.

The lights (4 23W CFLs) are about 6" away.

Would pH be a possibility? I know my water is alkaline.

That's not enough fertilizer to cause the problem. I use soil with the same level and have never had a problem. I have had problems with the lights being too close to the plants though and had leaf curl like you've got. They've always opened up after moving the lights further away. I had LOTS of leaf curl after I added a few extra lights, but didn't change the distance.

6" away is a good distance, but try moving them a little further away, OR try turning one or two them off and see what happens. If the leaves open up after the fact then the lights were the problem (too much, too close, too much heat whatever). You should notice a difference within about 1/2 day of the change. My plants have always been really quick to respond. If not, we can work on it from there.

How much air circulation do you have around the plants? Are the really boxed in or are they in the open under the lights?

If you are concerned about ph levels, you can buy inexpensive testers at most garden centers. From what I've read, peppers like a ph level of 6.5 although I've haven't really paid much attention to it in my plants as they've seemed to be fine with what I'm doing so far.

The airflow is ok I would say. The seedlings are on the floor with the lights propped above them by some board game boxes. I have a fan blowing on them, but it's one of taller fans that sit about 3' from the ground at the lowest setting. So the air is getting there, but not directly blowing on the seedlings very much.

The room itself has the door closed most of the time, and the room temp is a little warmer than the rest of the apartment but by no means super-hot. I'll try adding another couple of board games to the stack and we'll see what happens :)

Honestly? it doesn't really matter. seedlings are weak and kinda sensitive to basically everything. they won't die... they will grow and eventually grow out of it.

Too much N? Are you trying to kill his plants guys? If that was true they would be so dark green they might be mistaken for black!

His leaves are curling inward and are yellowing, thats screaming for Magnesium!

Probably too much watering, flushed out all the Mg.

i had a problem like this before but. the plant is doing better now,. All i did was repot eventhough it wqas small already for the pot/. Itb did the trich .

Back