• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why are the tops yellowing?

For the past few weeks, some of my pepper plants (this is my first year growing 'em) have started to get yellow tops... These are Maules peppers, and Serrano's and one Tian Tsin.

I have added some Epsom Salts last week, early, and no apparent effect.
I added some bone meal ( 3-15-0 ) last weekend, and no apparent effect.
This may be too early to tell, but yesterday, I added some 5-10-10 fertilizer, a "tomato bloom" mix.

SO... what else could I be missing?
Here is a Google PHoto's shared album (I cannot for the life of link pictures directly from Google Photo's and it's my only pic sharing account presently...)

PepperPlantPix

Did I under-do one of the treatments?  (I historically have a habit of killing plants by over-fertilizing or over-watering... trying to not do that here!).
Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty wet spring, plus watering at least once a week... so it shouldn't be underwatering. OVER watering I might buy..
Iron deficiency? Hmmm... I'll see if anything I've been using has some iron, or if I have any nice rusty nails! (Mostly kidding on the nails... unless it would work?)

The ones on the left (first picture) look over watered. The picture on the far right (last picture) seems like the color is just new growth. I would try to let the plants go almost limp before watering. But don't let them go too limp, or they wont prop back up! ;)  I lift my pots to feel the weight and only water when they feel almost bone dry, but right before the plant reacts (drooping).

mrgrowguy said:
The ones on the left (first picture) look over watered. The picture on the far right (last picture) seems like the color is just new growth. I would try to let the plants go almost limp before watering. But don't let them go too limp, or they wont prop back up! ;)  I lift my pots to feel the weight and only water when they feel almost bone dry, but right before the plant reacts (drooping).

Huh...  Overwatered?  Well, the Dill in the pot right next to 'em told me it was UNDER-watered.  Wish these plants would make up their mind!  ;)
I will try not watering so often, and also not using "tap water" without a day or so to sit in a bucket.
Weather report says rain later this week, so I don't know if I should put them under cover to prevent over-watering, or let them have their drink because it's not tap water - man... this whole growing things stuff is harder than I though! ;)

Very much appreciate the replies! 

Paul F.

mrgrowguy said:

Huh...  Overwatered?  Well, the Dill in the pot right next to 'em told me it was UNDER-watered.  Wish these plants would make up their mind!  ;)
I will try not watering so often, and also not using "tap water" without a day or so to sit in a bucket.
Weather report says rain later this week, so I don't know if I should put them under cover to prevent over-watering, or let them have their drink because it's not tap water - man... this whole growing things stuff is harder than I though! ;)

Paul F.

PaulF said:

Paul F.

I totally understand. Ive been growing/farming for about 8 years and still learning to water properly. I think a lot of people miss that fact and blame the result on other things. As for tap, that depends on your area, in mine, my plants love tap out of the hose just fine. Worst case, for me, is the chlorines and chlorimines will kill off beneficial bacteria in the soil, but it can't kill all of it (with proper watering), and I haven't had a single plant show my any reason not to believe that. Though, that being said, I do let me water sit in a 20 gallon trash can, which I've added a spout to the bottom. I try to let as many chemicals evaporate as possible.

But that's just my opinion/experience.

Best of luck!

mrgg*

willard3 said:
Fotos, not links.

"Here is a Google PHoto's shared album (I cannot for the life of link pictures directly from Google Photo's and it's my only pic sharing account presently...)"

Reading comprehension, not snark.

willard3 said:
Fotos, not links.

"Here is a Google PHoto's shared album (I cannot for the life of link pictures directly from Google Photo's and it's my only pic sharing account presently...)"

Reading comprehension, not snark.

Back