• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why can i not get a head on my tea??!!

I've seen differing thoughts on the foaming debate...supposedly, in my researched understanding, the foaming indicates that the microbes in the brew are multiplying and increasing their numbers and the foam is produced as a byproduct of replication indicating that these bacterium are predominately aerobic.

So wouldnt that mean you want foam?

Imjust afraid of useing the tea w/o it. Could be anaerobic for all i know

As long as you aerate the he'll out of it,I think you're ok. My last seaweed tea never foamed, and did no damage when I used it.

I've seen differing thoughts on the foaming debate...supposedly, in my researched understanding, the foaming indicates that the microbes in the brew are multiplying and increasing their numbers and the foam is produced as a byproduct of replication indicating that these bacterium are predominately aerobic.

Interesting. I would think the foam has more to do with the aeration itself as foam is bubbles as are the head you get on beer is caused by CO2

It breaks down to the process of cellular respiration as the microbes breakdown the "food" in the bucket. Aerobic cellular respiration is obviously when the bacterium utilize oxygen within this process to break down organic molecules. Certain byproducts result due to this breakdown and these are (respectively): ATP, hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen (of course there are other byproducts, but these are the main items seen as an end result). ATP is formed, hydrogen and oxygen pair (water), and carbon and oxygen pair (CO2)-----> Carbonation and a foamy head result. So long story short, I believe you are correct in regards to aeration aiding in head production to an extent, but also the natural production of co2 aids with head production as well.

This could mean that a good head in your tea indicates adequate aeration and aerobic microbe reproductivity.

....damn, my head hurts...haha

I add a cup of guano, a half tablespoon of molasses, and 1-2lbs of fruit that's going mushy. I also add in a fish/kelp mix, usually throw in a bit of azos and mykos too. Seems to work well, I barely get a head and it makes my plants go boom overnight.

I definitively do not think that a tea has to have a head to be beneficial...I just want to illustrate that seeing a head in your tea is about the easiest and quickest way to feel comfortable that you've got some good aerobic microbe brewing going on without having to pull out a micro book and a microscope.

My teas always have differing ingredients and each comes out with different amounts of head.

Grass+molasses+worm castings = Holy SH!T, there's foam everywhere versus a
Shroom compost+worm castings+molasses+fish emulsion and heavy on the guano which = scattered bits of head in the tea.

Both HULK up my plants

As others have said, as long as you adequately aerate it up until spray time, then you probably are fine.

I don't think you can have too much aeration...the KIS tea making kit features a "jet engine" cascading air through the tea....first time I watched a video of it I was thinking, "and just how much of this is going to stay in the bucket..."

jump to about 3:33 and look at the amount of air pumping into this bucket...

I read once, and I can't remember where, that too much aeration can be detrimental as well.
I think it said that air forced into the water too fast can actually harm the beneficial bacteria.
Makes sense but I have no empirical data to back that up neither am I a microbiologist. ;)

You ever been near a waterfall? See the foam and beautiful water? I believe lots of air is beneficial. Mind you not enough to blow the water out of the bucket.

You ever been near a waterfall? See the foam and beautiful water? I believe lots of air is beneficial. Mind you not enough to blow the water out of the bucket.

I agree but if the aeration is so powerful that it blows microbes to pieces it no longer become beneficial, if that indeed is what may or may not happen if too much force is introduced into the mix. ;)

That introduces another paradigm into the equation.....What is the level of aeration that these beneficial microbes can withstand?
They are living things correct? Living things have certain parameters that they can exist within but what are those parameters?
This is some fascinating discussion to me personally. Maybe I am just a soil web geek or something. :think: ;)

I was talking about an aquarium air pump, not a jet engine.

Let's not take everything to a ridiculous level.

I was talking about an aquarium air pump, not a jet engine.

Let's not take everything to a ridiculous level.

Did I say anywhere that I was aiming my post at you? What's with you dude? :rolleyes:
Some are expounding the use of some pretty powerful stuff in case you hadn't noticed. It's to those I was addressing, not those of us using a simple air pump for fish like you and I and others.

You responded to me, you quoted me. I responded to you.

I responded to you because you were giving an extreme example of foam from a waterfall which is in line with what I am saying about overdoing the aeration.
You obviously have a bone to pick so I will steer clear of your posts henceforth.

Pump the brakes kids...no need to get anyone bent out of shape.

I think the aeration issue is detrimental on both ends of the spectrum...too little, hello anaerobic pockets - - - too much, where the hell is the other 2 gallons of my tea?

I have also seen where bacteria can be damaged due to not necessarily high levels of aeration, but rather extreme levels of agitation that can often come from higher aeration levels. The excess amount of agitation can destroy or degrade bacterial cell wall proteins ---- but on our scales of tea making, I don't think this could be easily done unless that is your end goal and you introduce some extreme elements.

The ideal aeration is large amounts of small, slower moving bubbles. The small bubbles maintain contact within the water for a longer period of time which allows for more oxygen dispersion within the water. Your also providing more surface area oxygenation (so to speak) by providing more tiny bubbles than you are when providing larger ones.

The ideal aeration is large amounts of small, slower moving bubbles. The small bubbles maintain contact within the water for a longer period of time which allows for more oxygen dispersion within the water. Your also providing more surface area oxygenation (so to speak) by providing more tiny bubbles than you are when providing larger ones.

this is what i meant about the "bubbles" in the other thread.

Back