• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why did I wait this long?

For years years now I've contemplated growing my own hot peppers but these days I can get orange habaneros at every grocery store in my area. I can get several for under a buck so I didn't think it would be worth the effort to grow them when they were so cheap and readily available plus I love the store bought habs. Well fast forward to last week. I finally got to try a fresh Limon pod from my plant. Oh man it blew me away how much better it was than the orange habs i love from my local stores. Every aspect of flavor/heat I love about those orange habs these limons have, only better/stronger. I'm so glad I'm growing my own peppers now! I can't hardly wait now for my devils tongue and fatalies to ripen.

I'm the same! I have contemplated growing peppers for 3 years. Last year I bought a 1 yr old jalapeno plant for $5 at lowes and built a small raised bed for it. Got kinda boring watching it since it didn't grow at all so I just gave up on it.. Never really watered it, never put any fert on it. It somehow survived and gave me some pods. Wasn't a lot.. only 5 but man were they good! I started a bunch of different varieties 2 weeks ago and just put some more seeds in the germination bags. I guarantee you WILL be hooked in no time!

I started gardening 5 yrs ago, then somehow started planting lots of peppers and loving it.  It is not the economical side of whether it is cheaper to buy /grow. The practical financial side is simply irrelevant when you find so much fun.  The process of just nurturing a seed to maturity and experiencing the process is simply therapeutic! 

justecila said:
I started gardening 5 yrs ago, then somehow started planting lots of peppers and loving it.  It is not the economical side of whether it is cheaper to buy /grow. The practical financial side is simply irrelevant when you find so much fun.  The process of just nurturing a seed to maturity and experiencing the process is simply therapeutic! 
Exactly

Yeah 5 years ago I though I was the man for growing my own orange habs. My ego got a boost soon after when a friend gave me a ghost pepper plant. Then a year ago I stumbled upon this forum and proceeded to blow my mind by the number of varieties that existed out there.
Now I have 1 stray orange hab in the ground next to my 3 year old ghost in the corner of the yard and am using my prime spots for my Fatalii's, Brain Strains, Morugas, Reapers, and even some Bishops hat's and Brazilian Starfish. I still have over a dozen more strains I haven't planted yet because I was waiting to see if I liked what I have so far. I need a bigger yard :rofl:
It never ends. :hell:

Welcome. There is something to be said about planting a seed, growing the plant, harvesting the pods, and in the end filling a 5oz. bottle with the fruits of your labor. Stick around and enjoy!

download_zps8lgvneth.jpg

10377536_763469683728980_442883622733748529_n-1_zps0f1338f2.jpg

Back