• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wild/escaped peppers?

I was walking through the yard to get all the frogs out before the lawn gets mowed, and then I saw these guys sitting there. They're about six or seven inches tall, one of them grows in a clump and one is solitary. I thought they might be peppers or something very close, but I wasn't sure. I did throw some rotting pods in the yard last year, but it was in the wrong place for these guys to have grown from them. There is something very similar that grows nearby, but the leaves are wrong for it. I'm going to dig them up and see what they turn into later. Pics coming once imgur decides to behave itself.

Edit: Since imgur is still broken, and this site won't let me most dropbox photos.
First one: 
HbOUvKc.jpg

Clump of the others: 
Ujjewy6.jpg
Stem of the clumped ones:
OrmMbfo.jpg
Not one of them, but something I think is related to capsicum:
yvkJOu9.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
First photos are S.dulcamara I would guess. The bottom photo is nigrum complex.
The bottom one definitely is, but the top one doesn't check out seeing how late in the season it is. There are definitely climbing nightshade around, but they've already grown to full size and set fruit that I'll post pictures of once it stops raining.

cruzzfish said:
The bottom one definitely is, but the top one doesn't check out seeing how late in the season it is. There are definitely climbing nightshade around, but they've already grown to full size and set fruit that I'll post pictures of once it stops raining.
The young ones might be from seeds just now germinating. The fully mature plants you see are from rhizomes.

Look at the top leaf in your second photo,that is typical of solanums and dulcamara,they can have 3 lobes often,but not always. Crush up a leaf and smell it,that is another way to ID it. It might not be dulcamara,but 100% sure that it isn't capsicum.

Pr0digal_son said:
The young ones might be from seeds just now germinating. The fully mature plants you see are from rhizomes.

Look at the top leaf in your second photo,that is typical of solanums and dulcamara,they can have 3 lobes often,but not always. Crush up a leaf and smell it,that is another way to ID it. It might not be dulcamara,but 100% sure that it isn't capsicum.
How should it smell exactly?

Pr0digal_son said:
Like sumac.
I tested the smell of another nightshade that had fruit. Seeing as I haven't run into sumac yet, could it also be described as smelling like a much stronger version of raw peas? That's the closest thing I can think of.

Back