beer Wildfire Lager from Fitgers Brewhouse

I tried this tonight at the source. The Fitgers Brewhouse in Duluth, MN.

http://brewhouse.net/brews/wildfire/

The waitress tells me it is made with Serrano, Habanero, and 5 types of New Mexico Hatch peppers.

I asked for a taster before deciding if I wanted a pint or not.

This brew had quite a strong green serrano flavor in my opinion. 
I have never had a hatch pepper, so I cannot verify if that contributed a lot to the flavor.

I want to say it tasted "seedy" also. I am no connoisseur of peppers yet, but it just had that unripe green seedy flavor you get from a serrano sometimes.
Alsmost felt like I had seeds stuck in my teeth after sipping it.
I love serranos, but this recipe did not please me.

This brew had a little heat but not nearly enough to balance out that flavor.

I did not get a pint. It just wasn't doing the trick for me.

I think a fruitier superhot accent with a bit more heat would have made a much better brew.

I did have a hopalujah. Proper fresh IPA. yum.
http://brewhouse.net/brews/hoppelujah-ipa/

Cheers!

Pity. There are quite a few brewers doing wonderful things with hot peppers and beer. The trick is to make beer that tastes like beer, then has a kick in the end. Many go for the hot-beer concept and that is very one-dimensional. 

I predict "pepper beers", no matter how palatable, will never catch on to more than an obtuse micro-niche of the beer drinking world, in spite of Nigel's one man crusade.  March on, Sir!  We'll still be here when you return. :rolleyes:

Nigel said:
Pity. There are quite a few brewers doing wonderful things with hot peppers and beer. The trick is to make beer that tastes like beer, then has a kick in the end. Many go for the hot-beer concept and that is very one-dimensional. 

I predict "pepper beers", no matter how much they are touted, will never catch on to more than an obtuse micro-niche of the beer drinking world, in spite of Nigel's one man crusade.  March on, Sir!  We'll still be here when you return. :rolleyes:

Back