• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will my sprouts die?

So, I planted a variety of seeds two weeks ago in my mini greenhouse and last week I was looking around and found that a 8 seeds had sprouted. :joy: So, I took the lid off and now they're about 2in high. However, I found a few growing in between the little growing squares that have access to the watering tray underneath. I decided to move them, probably not a bright idea, but I did it. On two of the sprouts I pulled off a few very small offshoot roots accidentally and on one I broke off the very tail end of the taproot. They currently only have their starting two leaves and i've got them about 6 inches away from a 65w Wal-Bart plant light. Do you think i've killed them?

So, I planted a variety of seeds two weeks ago in my mini greenhouse and last week I was looking around and found that a 8 seeds had sprouted. :joy: So, I took the lid off and now they're about 2in high. However, I found a few growing in between the little growing squares that have access to the watering tray underneath. I decided to move them, probably not a bright idea, but I did it. On two of the sprouts I pulled off a few very small offshoot roots accidentally and on one I broke off the very tail end of the taproot. They currently only have their starting two leaves and i've got them about 6 inches away from a 65w Wal-Bart plant light. Do you think i've killed them?

I had a cayenne I was thinning from a double sprout peat pellet and I snapped the root in half...I put it in another pot to see what would happen. Doing fine now! I give yours a 50/50 shot...you might get lucky!

You'd be surprised at the resiliency of plants, particularly seedlings. Give them a little love and you might be pleasantly surprised.

You win some and loose some along the way, that's the nature of the sport. I do agree with "mrz1988" you'll be surprised what they can overcome. You'll have to play the hand out and see what happens.
Be sure to let us know!!

Sometimes those suckers just wont die! I have had some crazy situations with seedlings that I still can't believe they lived through. Just keep an eye on it and try to "read" what it wants. Good Luck!

yea I had fried my seedlings when I had put a new LED light in and had them all too close and the ones that I really completely fried and turned brown died, but most of them recovered and are doing great...

well until I checked them tonight.. I have 2 Bulgarian Carrot plants that are doing great, but when I switched the fixtures last night to 3 way sockets instead of the regular sockets (I have the 3 way 6,500k 50/100/150w bulbs and didn't realize it won't go to the 150w without the 3way socket..)

so anyways I have these little sticky tabs that I hold my lights up with in the shelf and I have tape over it to make sure it stays up, but last night I guess I didn't put it back enough and I found one of the bulbs on my Bulgarian Carrot plants.. I took it out quickly, soaked it and am hoping there is enough life left in it for it to live.. it sucks and I taped the other ones much better now, but the 1/2 of the stem looks pretty fried so who knows..

Severe the roots, no problem ....Cut or break the stem..............see ya
Seedlings can experience "shock" but will most likely recover, after a slight set back.
In the spring I dig out many perennials to divide, I use a sharp knife and cut through the roots, usually a short set back but like any perennials, peppers included, they will rebound if treated properly.

Good luck with your grow.

Greg

Back