• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Will seeds from a dried pod still be fertile?

So I left a cayenne pepper sitting on my kitchen counter for several months and its dry as a bone. I'm curious if its likely this has damaged the seed fertility or if they should be fine. Curious of what my chances are to get seedlings out of this thing!

A cayenne pepper has plenty of seeds, you may not get 10 for 10 but you should be able to germinate most. I was given 3 types of pods from Guatemala last Novemember. All pods were dried, no seeds were available (off season). The germ rates were so good I ended up throwing seedlings away......... :tear:
What do you do when you end up with too many..........keep the vigrous
I have seeds that are a more than a few years old, no problem germinating. I do plant a few extra seeds just in case some don't pop.

i agree with pic.. i did have some germinate even after 10+ years.. they were a riasta that finally fell apart.. i grabbed the seeds and they actually germinated in my backyard planter.. i think it they dont get hit by high heat or rot/mold they should be possibly good

Those seeds should be fine barring any disease issues.
Seeds are designed to withstand a long time in stasis
until they get wet and the seed coat can split.

+1 to everybody!

Seeds from your Cayanne should be viable. Standard wisdom states that even seeds from deliberately dehydrated pods up to 95 f will be viable.

I have successfully germinated seeds that have been through the dehydrator on low temps, so that's not an issue. As others have already stated, nasties may or may not be an issue, but also, the maturity of the seeds at the time was picked is an important factor. To help remove any nasties, mix a 10:1 ratio of water and hydrogen peroxide, and give the seeds a bath in that for a few minutes, right before you are going to germinate them. Remove then follow whatever your germination method is. If the pod was green when picked, your chances of viability are lower, but that is true even if you immediately pulled the seeds from the pod. So the same is true of seeds dried in the pod as outside of the pod.

Here's a link to a post I started a while back about dehydrator drying for some more comments:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35336-seeds-from-the-dehydrator/page__hl__%2Bviable+%2Bseeds

Back