• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will the bird s%@t be hot or not?

Will a birds digestive system eliminate capsaicin?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Obeychase should taste it and find out, for science.

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
Just babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q904gtMI

The jiHot Pepper said:
Will the bird shit be be hot? Will the the bird eliminate capsaicin? Yes. I mean no. I mean what? If I answer yes does it mean it's hot, or it eliminated cap? F*CK THIS! Nova was drunk. :beer:
The question is "Will a birds digestive system eliminate capsaicin".

Yes or no answers.

Sober as a judge I waz.

I went for no, we know that capsaicin plays a defensive role against mammals consuming them and also acts as an anti-fungal compound to protect seeds against certain fungi. This paper also suggests that it has a bioactive role in birds, with respect to seed retention in the gut - and that this effect on seed retention has effects on the seed viability.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5475214_Costs_and_benefits_of_capsaicin-mediated_control_of_gut_retention_in_dispersers_of_wild_chilies

The authors speculate that as capsaicin and lignin are produced through the same pathway, there is a trade off between thickness of seed (lignin) and time retained in the bird GIT (capsaicin). I.e. the thinner the seed coat (less lignin) the higher the capsaicin content, the less is spent in the bird's GIT - the less the seed is damaged.

So as it appears to have an important role in seed viability in birds who are the major seed dispersals for peppers, I would say it is not metabolised and is excreted as it is, but for the interests of science, Obey should definitely taste it :P  

Edit = thinking about it, it could be metabolised and that the metabolites of the capsaicin are behind the effects on retention time of seeds in the bird GIT, but I still think that it won't be.....

roflmao...someone actually did some research on the subject....this kills me.... roflmao

Inquiring minds AJ. Never underestimate them!

Now, i have PM'ed Obeychase and await his response... It is clear what he must do in the interests of humanity.

Nova said:
Sober as a judge I waz.

joe_brown.jpg

How is this. Collect doo doo and dry.
Place in vessel and add evaclear, stir and then let sit.

Siphon the alcohol and place in a shallow dish, let alcohol evaporate.
Study results and maybe taste the resulting residue.

Safe AND involves alcohol, win win.

Over to you ObeyChase.

Nova said:
How is this. Collect doo doo and dry.
Place in vessel and add evaclear, stir and then let sit.

Siphon the alcohol and place in a shallow dish, let alcohol evaporate.
Study results and maybe taste the resulting residue.

Safe AND involves alcohol, win win.

Over to you ObeyChase.

Maybe heat the alcohol solution and if the vapours catches the throat then it is there? Or do we just want Obey to eat an extract of birdshit  :think:  :D

Ssshhh, if he wants he can purify it further. Let's not turn this into a trivial matter, fecal maybe but certainly not trivial.

you know, I just noticed the tags on this thread....AJ and Birdshit....wonder if that has any hidden meaning to it :)

AlabamaJack said:
you know, I just noticed the tags on this thread....AJ and Birdshit....wonder if that has any hidden meaning to it :)
You were the inspiration, plenty of meaning mate ;)

I'm surprised it took you so long to notice the tags! :lol:

Back