• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Will These Survive ??

Late starters learning the hard way....these are what i have managed to salvage from my jiffy box accident involving my nephews errant soccer ball attack.. i started these in mid november , they popped up in up between decmber 10-14 last year... i salvaged what i could out of 5 possible varieties , but i cant tell what any of them are, 4 seem alot bigger than the rest which havent done anything in regards to size since being scraped up off concrete and repotted
120220121339.jpg
120220121338.jpg
120220121344.jpg

I would like to know about trying to keep these little guys going through the winter .. is it possible ? Or am i throwing good time after bad.. i have toyed with the idea of putting hanger wire arches criss crossing from the plastic outer rims and using several layers of cling wrap to keep the frost off them and keeping them under the verandah, once autumn ends.. currently the pots they are in get full sun as i thought i may as well maximise the warmer months but i dont hold my breath for anything edible off them this year..

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Those look pretty good, considering! I think they will do fine. They have a lot
of root space to fill, so may not show tons of new growth on top right away, but they will
take off sometime!

which means another season in the wait to identify which varieties out of the 5 types i put down ..
The next question is has any one else ever put them away from the frost for the following season , and if so was any pruning involved..??

Hi mettlecraft.

I set up a small plastic hothouse and successfully grew Habanero over the last winter. In fact, I dont think I had even planted them by this time last year (I think they were planted around March).

This is in Perth which isn't as cold as Melbourne - but still, I think if you had a small hothouse you could easily do the same.

Cheers simon , i am unsure of central victorias winter climate, i doubt it will be as reasonable as Perths winter climate..sounds like im on the wrong side of the island..The frosts here in central vic are far less than forgiving , and usually rear their ugly heads around end of april start of may.. ive watched a few basil plants die at the hands of frost sometimes a touch earlier than this. I would love to grow over the winter. I might have to repot into a looser drier medium for the last 2 months.. then prune them back and begin my plastic /protection regime.

If only ben cousins smoked habaneros..

150220121364.jpg
these guys arrived in the mail from an interstate ebay seller , they are supposedly Bhut Jolokia's they came in 1 1/2 inch pots , tehy were packaged in cardboard box, and looked very pale when i collected them from the post office.. i dont know if it was the lack of light that made them pale in color.​
Afew hours after repotting them i went outside for a look at them to see how things were holding up and i noticed the droopy ness of the leaves on one in particular. Shattered i went back inside , hoping the morning would bear better news.​
The following morning was more punishment for the buyer as two plants really began to take on the appearance of SHYTE..​
the leaves looked like they had been stepped on were all limp and disgusting....​
The next day i pulled off the crappiest leaves leaving me with plants looking like this(this pic is 3 days after , at least now there is a touch of life returning to the posture of these little ones ..Fingers crossed .​

190220121370.jpg

Back