Will Totally Green Unripe Peppers Ripen if Picked?

Depends a lot on the type of pepper too. I found habanero ripen well after picking. But not all peppers, or even chinese are lick that.

Jubnat said:
Off topic....but I gotta ask, what's with the medicine bottles full of cigarettes?
And don't toss them...try out a green hot sauce, or salsa verde.

moruga welder said:

thems not cigarettes , those are the funny ones masquerading as cigarettes ! lol

Jubnat said:
I didn't know they were putting filters on those too...that's some stealth shit right there!

moruga welder said:

had to stay one step ahead of the law !  not for long tho . lol  sry. bro ,didn't  mean to hijack your thread ! i'm done .

I roll my own (yes reg cig's). I have found the bottles make for perfect cig holders, they dont crush, semi water proof (for fishing), dont take up much room and I can keep tabs on how much I smoke....

Now if laws change I will probably try my hand at growing other plants, but till then I keep things legal.

I would be able to get my MMJ card due to my back (Epidural Lipomatosis, Bulging Discs & Arthritis) but my Dr was a jerk so I quit seeing him then Obama forced us to buy insurance and now we cant afford to go to the Dr so my medical history has a gap too large to qualify for a card so I live in pain.

My son takes many meds due to a medical condition and will for life so I have been trying to find uses for the pill bottles once empty, they work great for small nails, screws and parts for the garage too.

I got some success ripening a lot of peppers last season. Just put them in a large cardboard box on the counter, no banana needed, just peppers. It worked for me. Ripened well in a good week.

I have had a little success with Dorset naga pods ripening from green to orange next to a banana but not to fully ripe.

The gas bananas release is called ethylene, for information.

In your pods has any of the flavour developed? Or are they still bitter?

If so why not make some sauce from them?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The signal that the plant sends out to ripen the pods can be likened to waiting for the plant to "flip it's ripening switch" so to speak   Just as soon as the switch is tripped, the pods will begin their ripening process.  Just as soon as you see the first signs of a blush of color (and I mean ever so slightly) the pod can be picked and WILL fully ripen.

Streamer said:
Next time, prune overwinter plants judiciously leaving green peppers intact. Then bring them in. Green peppers must remain on plant to mature.
Would not be possible, almost every branch had green peppers, I actually tossed many, these were just the ones I kept, about 10-15% have turned orange since starting the topic....

DaQatz said:
Depends a lot on the type of pepper too. I found habanero ripen well after picking. But not all peppers, or even chinese are lick that.

I just so happen to have a green hab that fell off the other night during a storm. Well i had to try it AND.........................Yes it did turn orange after several days on the counter. It got a bit soft but it did go from totally green to totally orange. I used it today in a hatch/jalapeno relish.

My super chiles and serranos can have just the smallest about of red and they turn completely within a couple days.

I just notice three days ago that one of my peppers dropped off when I moved them around, it was already ripening, so maybe once its triggered it will continue to ripen.

_9275706_HabRipening-600_zps1cb8ynvi.jpg

the correct answer is maybe

mature pods will tend to ripen, usually

immature pods will rot or go wrinkly and dry out or some other undesirable action

i just pulled all of my plants monday......the 30 or so that had lots of mature pods got cut and hung in my basement.....already seeing some ripening, and i'll continue to get ripening for at least a couple of weeks

i also picked 3-400 green pods......i've got them spread out on window screens (for air circulation) with a handful of apples tossed underneath (screens are 4-5" off the ground)

i find that spreading the peppers out and keeping some airflow reduces rot as best i can

i'll get 30-40% ripening out of those I suspect....I find red to be the hardest to ripen this way, yellow & peach & white seem to ripen the best.....but even a partially ripe mature red has better flavor than the same pepper left green, imho
14519808_10210825848066044_7656164165158907720_n.jpg

14520593_10210825847946041_3117160497649354939_n.jpg
14522770_10210825848746061_7759394366734426939_n.jpg

FYI last night had been about 48 hours on the screens.....I pulled about 20 peppers off the first screen that ripened.....and i moved another 30 or so more from the two "green screens" onto the ripening screen; the pictures were from monday night.....i'll take a few more when i get home tonight

and i already pulled 6-8 peppers off the hanging plants; NONE of them were showing color on monday

Well almost all my peppers ripened, some did have seeds with dark edges or smaller dark under developed seeds, most were just fine. I was surprised so many changed, about 90% changed, only had maybe 3 get rot where the stem met the pepper, other than that everything came out fine. I would imagine my peppers were pretty close to ready to begin their color change and thats why they changed so readily.

I have had mixed results. Usually, about 80% of mine will ripen and the rest rot. Just make sure to not pile them on top of each other or handle them too much. They seem to rot if they don't have good air circulation or if they are beat up.

Back