• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken Grow 2012

Looks like I'm getting a late start again this year...Should be setting seeds to sprout in the next few days....Anyway, here's the order I made from Beth this morning. It's not really my complete grow list, because I'm planting lots of saved seeds (from my 2011 Grow and from trades with my THP friends) for the first time this year. Also, I don't know that I will plant everything from this order, but I am excited about some of the new varieties:

Peppermania%205Jan2012.jpg

Absent from the above list but going in the ground this year:
Trinidad Scorpion
Congo Trinidad
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Thai Chile (Garden Bird Seed variety)
Nambe Pueblo
Birgit's Locoto

Several bird types from THP friends, including, but not limited to (because I can't remember them all right now):
Texas Chiltepin
Prik Ki Nue
Siling Labuyo
Cumari do Para

Edited 1/9/2012 to add the following:

Last minute order from Hippy, plus some other trades I had forgotten about:
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah
Malagueta
Pusa Jwala

Very nice indeed Gary. But I thought for sure you would grow some 7 pots/pods. Either way can't wait to follow your grow. Gonna have to step it up to out do last year.

Thanks guys! Thanks for reminding me about the Yellow 7s, Jamie. I think I will grow them, because Neil said they will go to 10 feet tall in the ground.

The other day I had a tiny T. Scorpion chopped up in my breakfast grits, and I thought I was going to die with the stomach cramps for 3 hours or so. While I was curled up in a ball on the floor I kept saying to myself, "Why in the hell would anybody bother to grow such a damnable thing?" I guess that's why I'm kind of off the super hots right now: Except for the macho appeal and the coolness of the giant plants, I'm having a hard time seeing the point of them at all...

I know that's a blasphemous thing to say on this board...Maybe y'all can help me see the light...

See the light.... See the light!!
Great list Gary, can't wait to share some peppers with you again this year!

Brian

Thanks Brian! I'll be looking forward to it!

So I broke down just a minute ago and ordered some Douglah seeds from Neil...I hope I did it right. His web store is a little different....

Nobody likes to be the first one at the party!

Gary it's good to see your starting up. One by one the heavy growers are starting to show face, Soon the first page of these threads are going to be filled up with some excellent grow logs. AJ's up and running, the "Guru, Surfer, and Wayright" will probably join in soon............... :cool:
I'm looking forward to the plantout this year. I've snatched up a few new varieties......So far the seedlings are moving along quite well

Good luck and get your camera ready............... :halo:

Greg

Hi windchicken. I ordered from beth tuesday. I ordered the same jalapeno and also Aji Amarillo, have
you tried it before. I noticed you ordered 4 packs. Good luck with your growing season. I'm starting
to get eager to start some myself. Maybe I'll start some Douglah's. I've read they are slow to get
going.

Quit your postin' and get growin' already!!!!! We'll be watching! :scared:

:cool: I know, Dan, right? Some guys would rather run their mouths about growing chiles than to actually do some work...

Nobody likes to be the first one at the party!

Gary it's good to see your starting up. One by one the heavy growers are starting to show face, Soon the first page of these threads are going to be filled up with some excellent grow logs. AJ's up and running, the "Guru, Surfer, and Wayright" will probably join in soon............... :cool:
I'm looking forward to the plantout this year. I've snatched up a few new varieties......So far the seedlings are moving along quite well

Good luck and get your camera ready............... :halo:

Greg

Wow, Greg did you just mention me in the same paragraph with the heavyweights of the southern growers? I'm not sure I deserve that, but thanks!

Hi windchicken. I ordered from beth tuesday. I ordered the same jalapeno and also Aji Amarillo, have
you tried it before. I noticed you ordered 4 packs. Good luck with your growing season. I'm starting
to get eager to start some myself. Maybe I'll start some Douglah's. I've read they are slow to get
going.

Beth says she will never sell any Jalapeño other than the Zapotec. That's high praise coming from someone whose chile knowledge I regard higher than probably even Dave DeWitt....Also, I'm really into the ancient Mesoamerican landrace types right now. I understand that the Yucatan, Oaxaca, and Guerrero area was one of the world's two most important centers of ancient agricultural development. The other one was the Fertile Crescent of Mesopotamia....

Although it can be a real tricky chile to grow in my area, Aji Amarillo is real compelling to me. It is similar in that it is a "living artifact" like the the Zapotec and the Chilhuacle, but also because it is so very different from the other C. baccatum varieties that I have grown. Very tall (I have an Aji Amarillo in a container that is 6 feet tall), with thick, strong branches, large leaves, and huge, long fruit, similar to a New Mexico pod type, but without the tough, thick hide those chiles have. It does not perform well, however, in the extreme heat of the southern summer, so I'm planning to grow them in a couple different places, with varying amounts of sun, etc. That's why I needed so many seeds...

thats almost the same list i've got this year!

Good luck and happy growing, windchicken!

Thanks, kidd! I need to check your grow thread. Good luck to you, too!

Wow, your list looks very similar to mine! I bought some Zapotec Jalapeno as well, can't wait to compare them to "Early" and "M"! I am a little obsessed with traditional Peruvian ajies at the moment for similar reasons you mentioned, depending on how they perform here, I may switch to Oaxacan varieties next year (2013). I got the Limo Rojo from her as well. I hope to have better results than you Southern growers with the Amarillo and Panca up here in Indiana. I already got them started! Hopefully I can have a grow thread this year, 2011 was a disaster for me (Starlings, Herbicide drift, Storm Damage, and just plain bad choices for varieties grown). I also agree with you when it comes to superhots, but I too get this weird feeling like I should grow at least one???? So far I have resisted temptation. Anyway I look forward to following your grow out again!

Gary, Good to see you going at it again. I also ordered from Beth a handfull including the Zapotec J. and the Aji Amarillo. I hope to finish germinating quicker this year than last. My energy and enthusiasum tends to wear down a little by mid summer. I will not grow the variety I did last year but around the same quantity.

Good luck to you, Mike

Wow, your list looks very similar to mine! I bought some Zapotec Jalapeno as well, can't wait to compare them to "Early" and "M"! I am a little obsessed with traditional Peruvian ajies at the moment for similar reasons you mentioned, depending on how they perform here, I may switch to Oaxacan varieties next year (2013). I got the Limo Rojo from her as well. I hope to have better results than you Southern growers with the Amarillo and Panca up here in Indiana. I already got them started! Hopefully I can have a grow thread this year, 2011 was a disaster for me (Starlings, Herbicide drift, Storm Damage, and just plain bad choices for varieties grown). I also agree with you when it comes to superhots, but I too get this weird feeling like I should grow at least one???? So far I have resisted temptation. Anyway I look forward to following your grow out again!

Cool! Great minds...eh?

I've got a feeling you are going to have a big grow this year, after having gotten some bad misfortune and painful lessons out of the way last year...I'll be eagerly watching the progress of your Aji Amarillo and Aji Panca trials. As much of a pain as those varieties are to grow, they must eventually produce something really special!

It couldn't hurt for you to put in some super hots, if you have the room. If for no other reason than the Trinidad Scorpion, when it has plenty of good soil for a big root ball, can grow a massive bush, with a thick, tree-like trunk and the densest foliage I have ever seen on a C. chinense. I'm planting some Yellow 7 Pot seeds from Hippy Neil, because he says they will get to 10 feet tall in the ground...

Nice list, what's the story with the food a rama bonnet?

Thanks SS! The Foodarama Scotch Bonnet, according to legend and lore, sprang from seeds collected from chile pods found at a supermarket bearing that same name. Whether the tale is true or not isn't important, for the legend is now written in the hearts and minds of chiles growers across the land...

For years I've heard so many good things about the Foodarama Scotch Bonnet—Alabama Jack says it has the best flavor and aroma of any of the Scotch Bonnet types. Also, his climate is very similar to mine, so I have high hopes for the Foodarama. Last year I did a large grow of True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, which was quite successful, and from which I extracted a thick Caribbean-style pepper sauce that was a pretty big hit around these parts. This year I am planting an even larger grow of Scotch Bonnet, primarily for sauce production: 12 plants of True Jamaican, and 12 plants of Foodarama.

Gary, Good to see you going at it again. I also ordered from Beth a handfull including the Zapotec J. and the Aji Amarillo. I hope to finish germinating quicker this year than last. My energy and enthusiasum tends to wear down a little by mid summer. I will not grow the variety I did last year but around the same quantity.

Good luck to you, Mike

Hi Mike! Good to see you, too! I'm right with you on the mid-summer burnout, in more ways than one! I think one of the great benefits of the THP community is helping to maintain the enthusiasm when things are looking dismal...I know you guys got me jacked back up several times during the Summer Hell of 2011....

Good luck to you, too! It will be real interesting to see how everybody does with Beth's seeds this year....

Back