• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Windchicken Veggies, Herbs, Etc. 2012

This is my overwintered Italian Flat Leaf Parsley. That's French Thyme in the terra cotta pot, and my poor drowned Chiltepin in the whiskey barrel:

IMG_1384.jpg

Volunteer Gardener's Delight cherry tomato. The big mess of little sprouts at the edge of the patio are all tomato plants, as well:

IMG_1388.jpg

I usually grow parsley in pots on the porch every year, but I planted it in the perennial herb bed one year, and now it comes back all on its own. Haven't gotten that lucky with tomatoes though ...

That is some monster parsley. :eek: I have a bunch of oregano and a little parsley, mint, and chives that came up from last year. Mint plants are indestructible, I had some in a one gallon pot and it grew huge, I didn't water it once all summer (kept forgetting about it) and we went months with mid 90s temps and no rain. The potting mix would be bone dry and it never even wilted. Then it got turned on it's side laying up against the house with no light and little water all winter. I forgot all about it until I picked up the pot and noticed a nice size mint plant growing out of the side a few weeks ago. :oops: Too bad all plants aren't so easy to grow.

I'm also growing rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, fennel, epazote, Mexican oregano, marjoram, tarragon, leeks, hoja santa, huacatay, Cuban oregano, cilantro, culantro, dill, sweet basil, lemon basil, Thai basil, shiso, and lemon grass. If you can't tell I love herbs and hate paying $3 for tiny packages of herbs at the grocery store. :D

That reminds me of a giant parsley plant/bush that we had when I was growing up it must have been well over a meter high and wide but my mind could be exaggerating it here. Good stuff my parsley growing is severely hampered by possums damn things.

Wow, I forgot to click "Follow this post" and missed all these replies. Thanks, guys!
Thanks!
Wow Gary that is a mess of maters. Can't wait to see them in a few months.
Thanks Jamie! I'm beginning to think the cherry tomato is the Solanum lycopersicum equivalent of the bird pepper—They make a metric buttload of fruit, and you once you start them growing you can't get rid of them!
Now that's a lot of parsley
icon_smile.gif
Nice too something else besides peppers, I'm growing all kinds of veggies too.
Thanks Meat! I'd love to see photos—Did I miss them somewhere?
I usually grow parsley in pots on the porch every year, but I planted it in the perennial herb bed one year, and now it comes back all on its own. Haven't gotten that lucky with tomatoes though ...
Don't you love serendipity? I need a perennial herb bed...A few days ago the parsley began to bolt, so I pulled it up to plant Moss Roses for my wife. While I was down on my knees I noticed some tiny Sweet Basil volunteers from last summer's crop...
Un... believeable, I grow a small tub of flat leaf but holy cow, that's a chef's dream!

Greg
Thanks, Greg! These were overshadowed by the Sweet Basil until the frost killed those tall plants off, then the parsley just went crazy...
That is some monster parsley.
eek.gif
I have a bunch of oregano and a little parsley, mint, and chives that came up from last year. Mint plants are indestructible, I had some in a one gallon pot and it grew huge, I didn't water it once all summer (kept forgetting about it) and we went months with mid 90s temps and no rain. The potting mix would be bone dry and it never even wilted. Then it got turned on it's side laying up against the house with no light and little water all winter. I forgot all about it until I picked up the pot and noticed a nice size mint plant growing out of the side a few weeks ago.
icon_redface.gif
Too bad all plants aren't so easy to grow.

I'm also growing rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, fennel, epazote, Mexican oregano, marjoram, tarragon, leeks, hoja santa, huacatay, Cuban oregano, cilantro, culantro, dill, sweet basil, lemon basil, Thai basil, shiso, and lemon grass. If you can't tell I love herbs and hate paying $3 for tiny packages of herbs at the grocery store.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Thanks! Man, that's lots of herbs, Avon! I want to plant some Vietnamese mint and Mexican oregano...The Thai Basil is already sprouted, about to go in the ground! Do you like pho? I could live on that stuff!
That reminds me of a giant parsley plant/bush that we had when I was growing up it must have been well over a meter high and wide but my mind could be exaggerating it here. Good stuff my parsley growing is severely hampered by possums damn things.
Thanks, Peakey! These plants are approximately 0.7m tall by 0.7m wide, so your memory may be more accurate than you think! My dogs keep the squirrels and possums away...

Thanks! Man, that's lots of herbs, Avon! I want to plant some Vietnamese mint and Mexican oregano...The Thai Basil is already sprouted, about to go in the ground! Do you like pho? I could live on that stuff!

Yeah I love Pho. Unfortunately there are no places that serve it around here. I'm going to have to try my hand at making it sometime soon but it seems pretty laborious and time consuming. My Mexican oregano plant is small now but I could send you a cutting later on if you want.

Gary!
How have you been?
Herb and veggie garden looks good! do you plant rosemary to fend off those Louisiana mosquitoes?
I have beefsteak and purple cheerokee maters but need to get me some of those Solanum lycopersicum cherry variety lol
Grow on

Is there a reason the tomatoes are lined along the edge? Or are they in containers or something?
Thanks for asking, Peakey...Last fall there were three 10-12-foot vines in this bed producing an insane amount of cherry tomatoes, quite a few of which fell to the ground, rolled down the "tomato hill" and were stopped by the edge of the patio. There they rotted and deposited their seeds in the soil...
Yeah I love Pho. Unfortunately there are no places that serve it around here. I'm going to have to try my hand at making it sometime soon but it seems pretty laborious and time consuming. My Mexican oregano plant is small now but I could send you a cutting later on if you want.
We are lucky have 4 pho kitchens within a couple miles of our house. My favorite is owned by our friend Dahn, who has a big garden behind his restaurant. His mom, who is the gardener of the family, takes the leftover basil stalks from customer's plates, roots them, and plants them in the garden...At the peak of the season there will be hundreds of basil plants back there. She also grows Thai Chile, which she calls "ot thai," plus all those Vietnamese herbs and veggies that I can't even pronounce...Thanks, yes, I would love a cutting from your Mexican oregano...We use it quite often.
Gary!
How have you been?
Herb and veggie garden looks good! do you plant rosemary to fend off those Louisiana mosquitoes?
I have beefsteak and purple cheerokee maters but need to get me some of those Solanum lycopersicum cherry variety lol
Grow on
Hey Stephen, good to hear from ya! Cool! The skeeters are pretty bad here—We live between 2 bayous in the Red River valley...At our old house we had a massive rosemary bush and a big bay laurel. Now our daughter and grandbabies live there, but I don't think she knows how to use those herbs....Anyway, now that you say that, I need to plant those at this house...You and I are on the same page, almost—I'm growing Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and Cherry Punch (new variety from Burpee). If you need some seeds from the cherry type in the photo, "Gardener's Delight," I think I still have some....You are also welcome to any other tomato seeds I've got, if you're interested...

Thanks for the offer Gary, But I have some downstairs i need to use up.
I do tomatoes every year almost but only get a few maters. all the kids that come to play with my youngins have fun picking them and throwing them around before they are ready. grrr kids what can you do lol.
best luck i have had with maters has been cherry variety. although i filled some holes my dog dug up with soil from my composter and ended up with super healthy tom's but the first freeze we got culled them. one sprawled the ground atleast 5 feet and had close to 15 nice sized maters on it. I was mad at myself i didnt cover it up. Im super excited about the purple Cherokee I havnt tried one yet.

I went by my old house yesterday to check on my daughter's garden (pix on that later). My old plot behind the garage is mostly weeds now, but the little pomegranate tree an old gardener started from supermarket seed back in 2008 is now a big, happy tree. (That's my old tomato trellis there on the left):

Pomegranate.jpg

Update, today, May 10, 2012...

Volunteer Tomatillo Verde. There are about 500 of these plants in my lawn, where apparently the fruit rolled out into the grass last summer. I transplanted 4 of these clumps to the main tomato bed. I will thin it to one vine in a few days:

Tomatillo.jpg

French Thyme. I've kept this going, propagating from cuttings, for 5 years now:

Thyme.jpg

Greek Oregano. Same comments as above:

Oregano.jpg

Yellow Onion:

Onion.jpg

Back