• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Winter blossoming!

Hi there. I´m writing to share some news of the growing. Not a really detailed report, just some recent development.
So, I was growing thai chilis, a likely-to-be-cayenne, a probably-to-be-jalapeño, another plant that was very similar to the I´m-sure-it´s-thai, and a still unidentified one. This is the post were we discussed the varieties, but of course the plants don´t look like that anymore: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60849-i-cant-id-these-plants-can-you/#entry1331227

Well, the main news is that some of them are flowering, despite it´s still winter here. True, it´s been a not so cold winter: we had spring temperatures for the last 4 or 5 weeks. But I certainly wasn´t expecting flowers, let alone pepper development. On the other hand, most of the flowers are falling, but i think it´s because of weather stress - temperatures are still fluctuating.

So, these are the results so far:
-the we-think-it´s-cayenne is throwing flowers, not a lot, and most of them fell. But one of them didn´t, and turned into a little pepper. First of the season, second of the plant.
-the thai plant has been throwing lots of flowers for the last month, but so far all of them fell. 
-the similar-to-thai opened three flowers in the last three days. They´re a little smaller than the others.
-the jalapeño pods are about to open.
-the misterious plant is doing nothing but grow. Not even a single pod.

So that´s it so far.
C-ya around!

So, here are some images, I had no time to upload them before. Now I can do a little comparison.
All seeds were planted around March, by the end of summer.

This was the cayenne in June, almost entering winter:
image.jpg

And this is it now, a few hours after spring:
Cayena.jpg

It grew a lot during winter, and started throwing flowers. Even a little pepper!

These are the thai plants (the little ones) and the Jalapeños (bigger one) in June:
image.jpg

Transplanted Thai plant now:
Thai1.jpg

Thai2.jpg

It grew a lot, and it´s throwing lots of flowers, none of which made fruits so far.

And the Jalapeños now:

Jalapeno.jpg

Opened its first flower right today.

Finally, these looked like some other variety of thai (except the third one from left to right) in June:
image.jpg

And this is how it looks today the one I transplanted:
Thai_other.jpg

Recently opening its flowers, also grew a lot.

Of course, the question still remains... what the hell is this? It was the third plant in the pot. Didn´t do a thing but to grow taller:
Big_one.jpg

We´ll have to wait a little more, I think... The leaves are very big, no flowers so far, not even pods... Nothing. We´ll see.

Well done . You are ready for spring/summer.
It looks like a nice sunny glass covered balcony that you have there .  ?

Yeah, it´s a blessing for peppers... They have lots of sunlight, despite the fact I live downtown, surrounded by buildings. Almost every plant grows well. But the peppers grew specially fast in the winter, I still can´t believe it.

So, one more entry to this no so detailed glog... My goal was to observe the development of some peppers planted at not the best time of the year: end of summer/beginning of autumn. A couple of conclusions:

-they grew a lot during autumn and winter, which was really unexpected to me.
-yet more unexpected: they started to throw flowers at the end of the winter, which was not so cold this year. Most of them fell, specially the thai ones. That was probably due to weather conditions: around 65F during days, but dropping to half during nights.
-the flowers began to form fruits in the first week of spring, with day temperatures over 70F and less thermal amplitude. They are growing fast now!

This means to me that here it´s not too late to plant even after summer´s gone, because you can have fruits on early spring. Might not be striking news to some, but I didn´t really know what to expect here in Buenos Aires. Now I do  :dance:
I took some pictures, but I have just uploaded them in another thread, since some of the plants remain unidentified... In case you want to see them, here they are: 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60849-i-cant-id-these-plants-can-you/

C-ya around!

Hahahaha, yeah, you can go tell ´em... BTW, I always thought that Florida was warmer than that, just because its geographical location. Of course it depends on the time of the year, but it should be early autumn... Is it that cold now?

¡Hola, Nicolás! Hope it's not too late to say  :welcome:    :oops:

Nice pictures of your grow - it's always interesting to
see how things go in the Southern Hemisphere!

Nicolas_bsas said:
Hahahaha, yeah, you can go tell ´em... BTW, I always thought that Florida was warmer than that, just because its geographical location. Of course it depends on the time of the year, but it should be early autumn... Is it that cold now?

You're right - it's just getting into the mid-to-upper-60s overnight now, which isn't cold by even Florida standards.  But I think most of my plants are going to use that as an excuse not to produce any flowers this year...

PaulG said:
¡Hola, Nicolás! Hope it's not too late to say  :welcome:    :oops:

Nice pictures of your grow - it's always interesting to
see how things go in the Southern Hemisphere!
Hi there, and thanks! It´s never too late!

CapsaicinAddictKathryn said:

You're right - it's just getting into the mid-to-upper-60s overnight now, which isn't cold by even Florida standards.  But I think most of my plants are going to use that as an excuse not to produce any flowers this year...
Well, you never know... that´s exactly was I was trying to prove in this post, hahaha.  :P

Back