Winter Farmers Market Controversy

As the Farmers Market season starts to draw to a close on the East Coast, I have been approached by one of my current markets about taking part in their Winter edition.

I have been a loyal weekly vendor since April, and while it being my first season with this market, I think I have done pretty well and have drawn a lot of repeat business over the last several months.

Just received an email from the market manager in regards to the Winter edition and she mentioned that another hot sauce company is looking to come in as well, and we should discuss rotating weeks.

First reaction:  Fuck them! I should have first right of refusal. While i never signed anything saying I was to be the only hot sauce vendor, I think it is a common courtesy to allow me to decide if I am going to take part before accepting another competing company.

Second reaction: Who the hell wants to stand out in the freezing January cold from 8am till 12pm anyways?

Third reaction: Rotating with this other company might work in both of our favors, if we both market our appearances, we should get spicy food fans there each week, and it can only help us both out...

Fourth reaction: Still kind of annoyed that I am not given that common courtesy.....Market seems prepared to have us both there each week if we both decided to sign on.

Paperwork will be due in a few weeks, but I'd like to solidify my position and even make a few of my own requests before the other company signs on...There are other Saturday winter markets out there, but this is a good one, that I think will be worth it....

What would you do? Sign on full time? try to work a rotation with the other guy? or be spitfeul and tell them they can have the other company and move on?

GeminiCrow said:
buncha wise guys we have here, I see!! :)

I know little of where either of you were raised or grew up, but in current day, I'm sure winters in Northern Jersey are slightly less tolerable than CA or Texas...

I have my head warming crown and heat inducing saber all ready to go!!!!  im gonna be the Belle of the 'freakin' winter market ball!  LOL

Ann is in Washington, not Texas. 
;)

As for NJ winters, it is what it is - if you choose to do FM's and your chain has winter markets, you'd be wise to do them or you risk losing your stall. 

yep, what ^ said ;).  Did markets in western WA for several years.  Blowing rain right off the bay in Bellingham...yea, been there... 

Now I just work in 15F snow and ice, roughing in houses.  Last year, the guys bought me a battery powered coat.  Next on the list-  electric boots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1wTPnKSdg

She's got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazine~~~~

:dance:

Back